Conficker Worm Warning

I just hope that the rest of my family didn't get it. I'm smart about e-mails (don't even open the spam) and I just hope they do the same.

The report I saw on the evening news pointed to a remover MS was working on in preparation for it as well as posting a reward for information on who put it out. That also went into explaining what a "botnet" was and ..

"Hackers Tap Computers to Commit Crimes
Malicious Cyber-Crooks Attack Hundreds of Personal Computers Each Minute" http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=7220736&page=1

A botnet is like having an army of zombie pcs working together. The Conficker I-Worm is supposedly just that type of bug with a good description of the term botnet seen at http://www.tech-faq.com/botnet.shtml

As a rule you generally take precautions simply seeing an antivirus program running as well as adding on other protections. The timing of this however does seem to suggest a possible hoax receiving a large amount of attention. About this time last year another so called hard drive ruining virus was simply a hoax then being passed along by email type chain letters and an obvious fake.

Oh damn, I'm not exactly sure but I think my dads computer might have conflicker or something because this morning my dad came and woke me up at 4 before he headed off to work saying his computer is acting weird and when I got there it was just rebooting over and over again. I know it's not an officual symptom of having the worm but the timing worked out for it.

I'm going to try the norton removal tool that is provided on their site to see if that helps any.

It's not really going to be any worse than AV2009 or 360. This just got nabbed by the media and they ran with it. This kind of stuff goes on constantly. If the general population was even mildly aware of all of the Virii(?)/Trojans/etc... that come out every week/day, everyone would panic and no-one would even think about connecting to the internet, let alone things like "cloud computing". Let's not turn the reporting of every Virus/Trojan/Worm into a newsworthy story. Remember Y2K?

It's not likely that the author of the worm (if it does exist, which I'm pretty sure it does) will ever be caught. But if all of Microsoft, other third party organizations and companies like Symantec and McAfee can't stop ONE programmer from writing a worm thats going to do this much damage, then we're screwed anyway, right?

What this does do, is kill the budget's of otherwise profitable and efficient organizations and line the pockets of profiteering I.T. companies and so called "pest-removal" companies by providing a sales pitch.

Well from the followups being heard now on news reports following this from the start there's a lot of doubt starting to surface about this simply being an overeaction someone was counting on to perpetrate some type of "ha ha April Fools on you!" hoax. The more you read into it the more you get fooled!

Back
Top Bottom