Favorite Server OS

I prefer CentOS. It's a lightweight operating system, eschewing any additional cruft that's not needed in a server OS. The more lightweight your server OS means the faster it is at actually serving content. Even better, the less components included mean the less chance of something breaking, or there being a security hole in it.

i like windows xp its good ive stuck with xp ever since it came out
before then i was useing windows

i even have a copy of windows 3.1:eek:

We used to use Win Server 2003, recently updated to 2008 at my job. I have experience with Apple based servers(not a ton, but some!), and Red Hat.

well now I have windows server 2003 R2 SP2 and Ubuntu 8.10.

for windows server I use terminal server.

for ubuntu 8.10 I use it for hosting 3 websites on it.

I also got a smoothwall machine as for my router because I am done with routers like linksys,netgear,belkin because they cant handle p2p traffic like 450 to 750kbps downloads.

well now I have windows server 2003 R2 SP2 and Ubuntu 8.10.

for windows server I use terminal server.

for ubuntu 8.10 I use it for hosting 3 websites on it.

I also got a smoothwall machine as for my router because I am done with routers like linksys,netgear,belkin because they cant handle p2p traffic like 450 to 750kbps downloads.
Somthing must be up with your routers then? :S. I have a Belkin, and I do quite a lot of p2p. I reguarly download at ~800kbps!

I guess it could be to do with amount of connection they can handle...

maybe the belkin's,linksys,netgears craps out on higher connections. I use utorrent to download my software so once you got the port open there can be 30 to 50 connections at once and it dont take along get 750kbps/ 1mbps download. trust me I seen that.

True. I have heard of some routers crapping out when they have a high number of connections. Ah well, AFAIK it hasnt really affected me.

Back
Top Bottom