Error connecting External HD, please help

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
this actually has to deal with my parents computer, i have 2 different systems that i run, 1 is on an extra drive and i run Ubuntu on it, and the other is the standard drive with the laptop that has Windows XP on it... my issue is dealing with an extra external HD that my parents own, it is not showing up on theyre computer.. when pluged in itll go through the Autostart run and prompt you on what you would like to do but instead of saying the normal like 6 different options it only show 3, run program, open folder to view files and close... when i click to open folder (like i always have) it says to insert disk into drive L (the usb port the external is plugged into)...ive also tried to manually open it by going into my computer... now when i go to my computer system i have no problems on either linux or xp... my computer will pull them up just perfect but my parents computer will not... can someone help me solve this problem

IF the factory Fat32 volume is still seen as typical on most external drives for use with Mac as well as Windows their system lacks the software first seen when the drive is detected. With XP and Linux on your laptop Fat volumes can be readily accessed since XP can also be installed on Fat as well as NTFS.

Certain Linux distros can read MS partitions with ease explaining the two OSs seeing and accessing while your parent's system is likely running Vista. That's when the original software is needed unless reformatting the drive to NTFS. With that done Vista and now 7 will then detect and install the external drive as a new logical drive and made ready.

If the drive was already reformatted then go into the Disk Management tool and right click on the volume shown there for it to assign a drive letter. That should see it made available.

ok i understand how your saying that but heres the other issue that arises with this, my parents are running an alienware version of xp AND theyve never had an issue accessing this drive before now, the information you left was a very nice description of why it would not work on most issues though so thanks on that part, now if you could help me figure out what happened to let them not access it anymore... it confuses me very much

What happens when you boot your parent's system with the external drive already plugged in? Is it recognized once Windows is loaded?

That's a good point as well. Another thing you can try especially with any usb device left unplugged is plugging it in when Windiws is already up to see if you hear a distinctive "ping" wav sound and the "new hardware found" popup appears.

That will show Windows(Alien whatever) has actually detected it and will then see it installed as a new drive. From there once you know that whatever form of XP sees the drive go into the DM to see if it already has a drive letter or needs one.

Back
Top Bottom