Windows 7

So then I have a question about the installation. I'm using Vista home premium 32 bit right now, if I wanted to upgrade to W7 ultimate 64bit then that is a reformat and clean install right? Would I be able to upgrade so I can keep all my files and settings? Also, what is the latest version of W7? If someone could pm me a torrent link that would be great, since I see all kinds of versions and I'm not sure which version I need.

I don't think you can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit so you will have to do a clean install but you can get a 32 bit version of 7 and upgrade which will keep all your drivers and files...

I believe the newest version released is build 7057...

I don't think you can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit so you will have to do a clean install but you can get a 32 bit version of 7 and upgrade which will keep all your drivers and files...

I believe the newest version released is build 7057...
Well, the reason I want to upgrade to a 64bit OS is that I want to upgrade to 4gb of ram in my laptop....:)

But the beta version does expire sometime doesn't it? Forcing me to pay for it if I want to keep it......

yeah if you do upgrade to 32 bit you will still need to do a clean install of 64 if you buy it when 7 comes out and also it ends in august so you will need to do a clean install of an OS at that time anyways so my advice to you is if you want to avoid losing all your files and drivers on your main rig you could try it out on a secondary rig like I did, I put it on my lappy which I don't have much on anyways... I don't have anything on here stored that I don't have backed up somewhere anyways. But 7 is definitely nice but it does end in Aug so at that time you will either need to buy 32 bit 7 to keep it or clean install whatever else you want at the time.

yeah if you do upgrade to 32 bit you will still need to do a clean install of 64 if you buy it when 7 comes out and also it ends in august so you will need to do a clean install of an OS at that time anyways so my advice to you is if you want to avoid losing all your files and drivers on your main rig you could try it out on a secondary rig like I did, I put it on my lappy which I don't have much on anyways... I don't have anything on here stored that I don't have backed up somewhere anyways. But 7 is definitely nice but it does end in Aug so at that time you will either need to buy 32 bit 7 to keep it or clean install whatever else you want at the time.
Ends in August eh? I don't know if it's worth reformatting my system and putting on a beta version then if It's ending in August. I would be then forced to pay whatever ridiculous price MS is going to set for this OS....I would love to upgrade to 64-bit but it will cost a bit of money.

Ends in August eh? I don't know if it's worth reformatting my system and putting on a beta version then if It's ending in August. I would be then forced to pay whatever ridiculous price MS is going to set for this OS....I would love to upgrade to 64-bit but it will cost a bit of money.

What nobody seems to have suggested besides installing on a separate system is a dual boot seeing 7 on the second primary with Vista on the first. You would set Vista as default using that BCD until the 64bit beta expires on July 1st. The 32bit beta expires on August 1st.

In fact that's the drives are set here seeing Vista Home Premium 32/Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on the first sata with XP on the second with the 7 32bit seen there. Once July comes along the Vista drive gets the second storage partition back there while not needed.

What nobody seems to have suggested besides installing on a separate system is a dual boot seeing 7 on the second primary with Vista on the first. You would set Vista as default using that BCD until the 64bit beta expires on July 1st. The 32bit beta expires on August 1st.

In fact that's the drives are set here seeing Vista Home Premium 32/Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on the first sata with XP on the second with the 7 32bit seen there. Once July comes along the Vista drive gets the second storage partition back there while not needed.

So the 64-bit W7 beta expires in July now? Honestly I never thought about dual booting, thanks for the suggestion. What would I use for a boot manager?

So the 64-bit W7 beta expires in July now? Honestly I never thought about dual booting, thanks for the suggestion. What would I use for a boot manager?

The latest I ran into is that you may be seeing an Release Candidate made public in May. That will be good until June 2010! and simply be a better option once out. The expiration date would be for both 32bit and 64bit there.

"Microsoft accidentally confirms Windows 7 RC coming in May" http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2369

"Windows 7 RC download page goes up early, coming in May (Updated)" http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...download-page-goes-up-early-coming-in-may.ars

Now before getting too far side tracked looking at the apparent good news there :D the 7 BCD is practically identical to the one you see in Vista where you can actually edit either one to see the other added into it. You wouldn't need any Grub loader or other 3rd party with the BCD editor included in both.

The preferred option however is the free EasyBCD tool you likely know of already where you can add 7 into Vista's boot options as well as seeing the reverse. If you signed up and downloaded the 7000 build originally you can boot right from the disk to see a clean install on the second drive there or elect to shrink the Vista primary. The preferred is using the second drive if available.

I would'nt wipe Vista but simply opt to shrink that primary down about 25-30gb if you have the drive space. The 7000 build will simply install to the second while keeping the Vista boot loader active if you run the installer from Vista and not booting from the 7 disk you burn.

Back
Top Bottom