Should I Install Windows 7 Beta?

Herpderp23

Baseband Member
Got my new hard drive, and was thinking about testing out Windows 7 Beta, SHOULD I DO IT? >.< I hear good things about it. But with me not having a great amount of knowledge about Operating Systems, what drivers do i exactly use for Windows 7, for my graphics card, sound card, and such? And what programs work with it? Does ventrilo, xfire, steam and a lot of other commonly used stuff work with it?

My recommendation.

@ this point i wouldn't, unless you won't be installing loads and loads of crap on the OS. The beta is pretty much almost over, and once it is you will have to re-install either windows 7 or an older OS as the beta is not upgradable.

So my response, is NO.

It is a great OS, i used the beta for about a month and i was pleased. i would wait for the final release....believe me...its worth the wait :p

Isn't it coming out around August? But besides that, like I said above, what stuff does work with it? Games and program wise.

well its beta..so nothing works flawlessly on it. I had most of my games run perfect on it...maybe the odd time it may crash or something. So to answer your question, pretty much all apps work...but don't be shocked if they crash. After all....it is Beta.

yah the whole crashing thing scares me, wouldn't want that in Arena on WoW <3 haha. Guess I'll just use 32 bit xp till Windows 7 comes out. thanks!

I actually have another question, its about the Hard drive. I want to transfer some things (but not everything) from the old hard drive to the new one. Like, WoW, Steam, and other games that are installed. Because re-installing and downloading addons/patches would just take forever. Is there any way I can transfer it and it will still work properly? A friend said I would have to save my Registry and put it on the new one, would I need to do that?

well if you are worried about stability, then i wouldn't bother using it until its released.

I'm on W7 right now, build 7057, I've only been using it for a few days so far. I have a dual boot setup Vista Home Premium 32-bit and W7 Ultimate 64-bit. So far it seems better than Vista. Some programs are a little quirky of course, but it's very usable.

If you've got an extra hard drive or an empty partition give it a try for a little bit, but don't install it as your main OS, never do that with a beta version. You can't download it from MS anymore, but it can be had via torrents and you can search google for keys, thats what I did.

And what programs work with it? Does ventrilo, xfire, steam and a lot of other commonly used stuff work with it?

Most of the programs I usually use work fine with it. ie AIM, Firefox, utorrent, steam, my printer programs, and basically everything.

It does crash every once in a blue moon but its a million times better then Vista.

If you're worried about stability..stick with xp then until the final release comes out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom