Help me pick a comp n a server!

giggsy

Solid State Member
Hey im looking for a good computer im in linux n apple but i have xp :( lol i dont like windows!..

righto heres the facts

I play games and host my websites and my games. and i just like to do all thats stuff, i need a fast computer .

so what ya think?

and i need a server to run my game and my site so i dont have to use my computer for that stuff....

so leave comments :)

thanks
~giggsy

Hi,

Welcome to CF!!

Let me see if I understand you correct, you are looking for two things it seems. One is a computer that you can play your games on. The other is a computer prefferably linux, that you can run your web and game servers on.

I can't comment on your gaming computer because as many will tell you I don't do a lot with gaming. Mostly I do stuff with linux. So, here are a couple of questions that you I pose to you.

One: What experiene do you have with linux? Have you used it before, and if so, how much have you used it. Or are you completely new to the hole linux deal.

Two: What computer are you using currently? Would the computer that you currently use be able to be set up with linux if you had to?

Three: Supposing that you had a little money to get another computer would it be possible for you to get a cheap computer from local shop, something with like a 1.6-2.0Ghz proccessor, and like 512-1Gb of ram, and something like a 250GB hdd? If so that could work for your server machine.

Start with that and lets see where you are at. If you need more help just let me know.

Cheers!

Hi,

Welcome to CF!!

Let me see if I understand you correct, you are looking for two things it seems. One is a computer that you can play your games on. The other is a computer prefferably linux, that you can run your web and game servers on.

I can't comment on your gaming computer because as many will tell you I don't do a lot with gaming. Mostly I do stuff with linux. So, here are a couple of questions that you I pose to you.

One: What experiene do you have with linux? Have you used it before, and if so, how much have you used it. Or are you completely new to the hole linux deal.

Two: What computer are you using currently? Would the computer that you currently use be able to be set up with linux if you had to?

Three: Supposing that you had a little money to get another computer would it be possible for you to get a cheap computer from local shop, something with like a 1.6-2.0Ghz proccessor, and like 512-1Gb of ram, and something like a 250GB hdd? If so that could work for your server machine.

Start with that and lets see where you are at. If you need more help just let me know.

Cheers!

Answer 1:im only new to linux and im actually looking for it to put on my computer right now..

answer2: im using a some computer my dad put together then i added stuff to it.. lol and yes i think it may be able to run linux.

Answer3: i all i need is a bit better mother board so i can get a better graphics card and bigger ram. i have a Property Value

CPU Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz

so yeah. :D

o and i dont really care bout wat linux prob the best one out so far :) ;)

Hi,

Ok so for you are working from scratch when it comes to linux. That is great, in the best of ways! For your second answer I imagine that you should be able to run linux on the computer, without a problem. I am guessing that answer three is for your gaming computer. If it is for you linux computer you can run on plain jane mobo graphics.

As for what distro of linux I would recommend that you do with ubuntu, or Fedora 10. They are the easiest to use for beginners.

If you need any help with setting the linux stuff up please let me know I will be more than willing to help you.

You can't really play many, if any games on Linux. Windows it the best platform for gaming and Mac for editing.

You could run Ubuntu Server.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition

That is very true. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu server for a complete noob. The reason for that is that there isn't a gui that is installed. You would need to install one. I would go for ubuntu desktop or Fedora 10, and then install the server program that he wants and go from there.

Cheers!

thanks for all your help ;) well ne ways i need a whole new computer or atleast a better motherboard because i have a linux cd and my computer doesnt let me run it . even APC cd's thats the problem :) lols i have changed boxes. like the cover thing to a new one with a new dvd rom but i put my mother board in it. :( so yeah i cant run cd's!

Hi,

Do you know how to start livecd's? Not to sound demeaning or mean, but some people don't know how to start a livecd.

I would recommend that you have a look at my linux installer guide. I know that I wrote this a couple of years ago, but it is up to date, and has all the information that you should need.

Cheers!

Yeah thats the thing wen i put it in and do that .. it gets stuck and doesnt load it :( ill have another try ;)

Hi,

When you say that it gets stuck what do you mean by that? It could be a number of things. I would start, with making a new livecd, this time use the lowest setting for burning that you can, if you have a 2x or 4x that would be best. Also, what program are you using to burn you livecds?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom