DVI cable not working

damon66

Solid State Member
ok so i have an lcd computer monitor and im trying to hook it up to my older pc with a dvi cable. my cable looks like this: http://w3bma5t3r.com/store/images/dvi_d_cable.jpg

so i hooked it up to my old pc and the other end of the cable goes into my monitor. problem is when i start up the computer the monitor acts like it isnt plugged into anything. anyone know what to do?

quick question, are you using a vga to dvi adapter when hooking the cable up to your graphics card? Have you tried using another dvi cable?

quick question, are you using a vga to dvi adapter when hooking the cable up to your graphics card? Have you tried using another dvi cable?

no its just dvi to dvi. how do i know if im hooking it up to my graphics card or not? im just hooking it up to the white port in the back of my pc.

well if the dvi cable is able to plug into your "white" port properly then you must have an on board dvi port. Do you know if you have a graphic card installed? Did you have another monitor hooked up to your pc before via dvi or vga?

well if the dvi cable is able to plug into your "white" port properly then you must have an on board dvi port. Do you know if you have a graphic card installed? Did you have another monitor hooked up to your pc before via dvi or vga?

i have an nvidia geforce fx 5200 i think. the last monitor i had hooked up to this pc was a really crappy old crt monitior via vga.

It should still see it, even when booting.

Its very uncommon for a port to just be dead, but its surely possible, since you've never had the need to use it, that you haven't noticed its been dead all this time :(

But of course, it could also be the DVI port on the monitor.

Have you got another cable handy?

Does your monitor have a selection to choose VGA or DVI? Some monitors have these in the option from the monitor buttons.

jikifreak, I'm glad you thought of that :p
If he has infact just forgotten to do that...haha

Back
Top Bottom