Difference..if any..between a PCI or PCI Express

daytona

Beta member
sound card. I have gone brain dead.
This problem has driven crazy, so now I have decided to replace the sound card. I have an existing Diamond MM SX 5.1 sound card. It has worked well, until the Windows updates came down the highway a few months ago. And since then a few SNAFU's with the sound. I know this because I loaded and reloaded the computer about 8 times since Xmas.
So, I have decided to get another sound card. I see these cards with a PCI Express slot...I don't believe there is a PCI X slot on M/B, but the Diamond is a PCI slot card. So, do I only get another PCI card?
Thanks
JB

If the motherboard has a PCIe slot, I would get a PCIe card. If not, just get the PCI card. If you started running into these problems after you updated the driver, have you tried rolling it back yet?

Depending on when you bought the motherboard, it's difficult to say (without you giving model number or taking pics of it) whether it has PCI-E(1x,16x,etc..) or not. PCI is probably best bet for a new sound card (X-Fi Platinums are really nice :D). Make sure you uninstall drivers from the old sound card before putting the new one in, especially if you put it in the same PCI slot.

Depending on when you bought the motherboard, it's difficult to say (without you giving model number or taking pics of it) whether it has PCI-E(1x,16x,etc..) or not. PCI is probably best bet for a new sound card (X-Fi Platinums are really nice :D). Make sure you uninstall drivers from the old sound card before putting the new one in, especially if you put it in the same PCI slot.

I never uninstall my drivers. It would be a complete different card that won't use the same drivers.

i tried rolling back the driver...no go. I even talked to Diamond MM and they sent new the newest drivers on a CD ... no go. So, I figure one of the new files that came with the update has a conflict with one of the Diamond files....so since Microsoft and Diamond don't want to talk to each other...I just get another sound card.
My M/B is an ASUS M2V-MX...and I will look into the book to see what it there.

(2) PCI amd (1) PCIEX16 slot and the is where the VID card is now. So, PIC sound card it has to be

Blast it all, edits to posts as I'm editing mine... Best of luck to you in your purchase, hope this one doesn't give you any grief.

Back
Top Bottom