Seagate Barracuda

nesto1000

Baseband Member
I'm going to build my own computer soon and I was looking at the HDD's, specifically Seagate Barracuda's... Now I have heard good things about these HDD's but I have checked on newegg and it has some bad reviews saying that they just die on you.
Do you guys think i should buy this HDD?
BTW its an Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Where I might buy it at

Newegg (for reviews)"

Yeah those hard drives are good I wouldn't be too worried about them just dying. Im not saying it won't happen but seagate barracudas are good quality HDD's...:D

hmmm... thank you PokerDegenerate, are there any other good brand HDDs? because Seagate Barracuda's all that i know of... and others im not sure....

oh also is it worth it to get the 32mb cache over the 16mb cache?

Edit:
What about this Western Digital HDD?
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS

Is it better than the Seagate Barracuda from above?

hmmm... thank you PokerDegenerate, are there any other good brand HDDs? because Seagate Barracuda's all that i know of... and others im not sure....

oh also is it worth it to get the 32mb cache over the 16mb cache?

Edit:
What about this Western Digital HDD?
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS

Is it better than the Seagate Barracuda from above?

For everyday computing, it's not worth it. I believe those are the versions of that drive that need a firmware update.

For everyday computing, it's not worth it. I believe those are the versions of that drive that need a firmware update.

Which versions of which drive? the WD?
also why is the 32mb cache not worth it for everyday computing?

Either of the drives you listed are great drives. The Western Digital Caviar Black is an excellent drive for the price as is the Seagate Barracuda. I've owned both Seagate and WD drives and can say they are both quality performers. In general, a drive with a large cache is quicker in retrieving frequently used data than the same drive with a smaller cache.

After looking at the prices, I would suggest getting the Seagate from Newegg. It'll be cheaper in the long run as it has free shipping. :D

Which versions of which drive? the WD?
also why is the 32mb cache not worth it for everyday computing?

The drive is better at finding and working with the size of the cache. For everyday stuff, you mostly work with only smaller files. So, 16MB is still more than enough. Either drive will work fine. Just go with whatever is cheaper. I didn't really click on either of the links.

Either of the drives you listed are great drives. The Western Digital Caviar Black is an excellent drive for the price as is the Seagate Barracuda. I've owned both Seagate and WD drives and can say they are both quality performers. In general, a drive with a large cache is quicker in retrieving frequently used data than the same drive with a smaller cache.

After looking at the prices, I would suggest getting the Seagate from Newegg. It'll be cheaper in the long run as it has free shipping. :D
Either of the drives will do... seeing as i live close to the base of directron.com and will pick them up from the store.... so free shiping hehe...
but it looks like i might get the Seagate seeing as its even cheaper in directron than in newegg... :D

Back
Top Bottom