Is it the hard-drive or something else...?

K20_VTi

Beta member
I have a Fujitsu siemens amilo Pi 2512 laptop and just before christmas my dreams ended with it..

Basically i turned it on one day, worked fine, but adjusted the screen and it froze constantly after so i left it for a while and tried again. This time however the power came on but there was no life with the fan and the screen was black, was just the power LED that was working only.

Ive taken it to a computer engineer and he's said its the HARD-DRIVE thats broken, if it was to be the hard-drive thats broken then would it stop the cooling fan and preventing the screen from working??

I need a second opinion!

thanks davey.

First off... Welcome aboard! CF

If the hard drive simply bit the dust on you the "no boot device found" or other invalid boot disk type error would immediately be displayed once the initial post tests were completed. The strong suspicion right off would be a board problem explaining why nothing seems to be powering up but the power led.

I can only recommend returning it under warranty coverage as a manufacturer's defect. The dealer/factory authorized service center would need to go throught it or see it replaced under warranty.

Indeed, Dodge is right, I doubt a hard drive error on its own would make a laptop not respond completly. It just wouldn't be able to find any bootable drives and not carry on booting to Windows.

It's possible, since the hinges on laptops act as buttons, i.e, pressing the lid down sends it to standby, that something has damaged within the screen, causing it to short circuit or something of that nature.

Still, it should be under warranty. I wouldn't pay this computer engineer to open it up and test it.

That's currently happening to me with my desktop. I'm sending the drive back tomorrow for a replacement.

I appreciate the help thank you, and thank you dodge for the warm welcome!
The problem is the screens cracked now and ive taken it off as i was going to replace it anyway so i wont be able to return it on warranty =[.
When the screen froze it also turned blue in some areas (example- ocean mist visual on windows media player- similar to it). I think a very faulty laptop since its 8 months old.. thinking of getting a COMPAQ CQ60-212EM, rumors its heavy but its pretty good for £339?

Broken display! ouch alright! Sad to hear while those can still be replaced if you simply shop around for the best buy.

But the power led on and nothing else could also be a battery or adapter problem only seeing enouigh for that and not enough for starting everything up. That will prevent a normal boot.

You'll likely want to look over several models before jumping on anything new for best price as well as best hardwares/OS options available. Then you won't regret being hasty and simply jumping on the wrong one.

You'll likely want to look over several models before jumping on anything new for best price as well as best hardwares/OS options available

I am not a "bright spark" when it comes to computers but I know a little bit about them as im studying computer engineering at the moment but what would you recommend as a good OS if I was to build my own computer instead?

To replace my screen its between a region of £70-100 ($102-161) but it could be many of a few problems with the laptop so would be no point wasting money i could be spending near enough a high amount repairing it when I could just upgrade to a different computer/laptop or build something from scratch (even though i have no clue if what i buy would be compatible).

Back
Top Bottom