Upgraded Ram doesn't make my computer faster

manifestoid

Solid State Member
I just bought the correct ram for my computer. I got 2 gb and put it in..It can hold up to 4 gb. When i installed it, when i restart my computer it takes a long time to restart, and it doesn't make my computer faster at all.. what can i do to fix this?

I just bought the correct ram for my computer. I got 2 gb and put it in..It can hold up to 4 gb. When i installed it, when i restart my computer it takes a long time to restart, and it doesn't make my computer faster at all.. what can i do to fix this?

You may have a faulty stick of RAM. Download and run Memtest or Prime95 and select the option that includes testing the RAM as well as the CPU.

Well I can't see a problem.

Not unless it's something to do with the other stick being only 256MB!

Take out the 256MB stick and replace it with the new 2GB Stick.

See if that helps.

yea my computer sucks..but it was sitting around and i wanted to get it working cuz i didn't have one for myself

failCPU. that's gonna bottleneck it, if you have windows home ed. you have definitely wasted money on that ram, XP home edition only holds 2048MB...

But it's slowing during RAM checks, during POST, and XP home will see 3GB to 3.5GB RAM.

Get rid of the 256MB RAM stick.

failCPU. that's gonna bottleneck it, if you have windows home ed. you have definitely wasted money on that ram, XP home edition only holds 2048MB...

Don't listen to him. You won't have a bottle neck with 2GB of RAM. Especially just for home use.

Check the registry on any computer with home edition. Max RAM = 2048MB -.- .-. _._

That's the RAM being utilized, not including the memory being remapped to help other parts.

You will need to test the stick of memory to make sure it's not bad. Please do what I said in my previous post. Make sure your motherboard can support 2GB onto each RAM slot.

I downloaded Prime 95, which option do i choose and what do i do with it?

There is a brief description of what each option does. Choose the one that incorporates RAM into the test. You could just download and run Memtest. Which is an excellent program, might I add.

Back
Top Bottom