Using my TV as a monitor? Help!

Shepanator

Beta member
I am looking to buy a new PC and I want to be able to use my TV as It's monitor. The PC I'm after isn't a supercomputer or a media center. It only has intergrated graphics but the TV I've got states on the box; "Can be used as a PC monitor" I've browsed the net and I can't find a straight answer anywhere. I can get the pc with a monitor for an extra £49.99 but will it be cheaper to use my TV? My TV's inputs are; HDMI, Scart, Composite & RF (according to the box) On the back of the TV There is only one input I think can do it, 'AV in 1' its labelled. The yellow, red & white bordered holes. The yellow of which is called video in. I don't want to go spending before I know, so can someone please help?
Thanks, :)

P.S: I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to buy a video card, but will my TV support it? And will it cost less than £49.99?

if you can find a version of your PC online, send us a link so we can look at it and get more info.
The tv either needs vga input like your computer monitor has, or you need an HDMI output on your PC.
You can buy video cards that have HDMI outputs on them if the PC doesnt.

Edit, if your TV has HDMI it will support a video card with HDMI.

you can also use s video if your tv has that. I would check for hdmi first if your tv has hdmi than buy a card that supports hdmi. if not look for s-video, if your tv has vga out than use that as a third option. As far as the price goes, the cheapest i have seen them is for around $60.00 USD. I am not sure what that is compared to for you.

S-Video and composite video (the yellow video input you're referring to) does not support high definition video. Your picture quality will suffer unless you find an input that's capable of supporting a high definition signal. Anything like component video, VGA, or HDMI would work.

Ok. Thanks everyone, I've found a suitable video card now that won't cost an arm and a leg, thanks again! :)

what video card might that be. We can revise it and tell if it is a good deal or not

Back
Top Bottom