Startup Computer Freeze

coolbrett007

Beta member
My computer keeps freezing on startup after I installed a new case (Cooler Master 690). I have looked over the internals of the computer, and checked all heatsinks. The system and CPU temperatures are normal, and all the cables are securely fastened. The freeze only occurs once Windows starts to boot, I can leave it all day on the BIOS screen and the computer will continue to function normally. I am running a P4 2.66 GHz Prescott, 2GB XMS2 RAM, an EVGA nForce4 SLI-edition motherboard, an EVGA 7900 GT KO graphics card, a Mad-Dog DVD-RW drive, a Lite-On CD-ROM drive, an 80GB IDE hard drive, a TrendNet 54mbs Wireless-G PCI adapter, and Windows XP Home Edition. I have tweaked the BIOS, and restored it to normal. I have switched hard drives and tried to reinstall Windows on the new one (it froze too as soon as the GUI loaded). Please Help!

It almost sounds like a power problem.

Do you have all the power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard properly connected? In particular the main 24 pin and the aux 4-6 pin connectors? Some motherboards have an aux molex connector too.

Thanks but I have all those connected except a Molex that is dedicated for PCI-E x1. Do you have any other suggestions?

Try booting with one memory stick at a time. . .

Check to make sure the voltage switch on the PSU is on the correct setting if applicable. . .

Try another PSU if available. . .

Beat it into submission with a hammer. . . ;)

Hahaha OK thanks, I'll use the hammer as a last resort...

Would there be a difference between the two as far as which to put in?

OK I went ahead and booted with each one, one at a time. It froze on both attempts right after login (as the startup processes were finishing). That is on the upper end of all my attempts, but neither allowed me to accomplish anything. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom