Nvidia purevideo HD

pud

In Runtime
just reading up on graphics cards, and got on the Nvidia webpage. Says their purevideo HD system will basically take all the load off the CPU. So does this mean that such cards will enable older machines to play BluRay movies? My system does fine for everything I do, except movies could be better. Plays normal dvds just fine.
I have an AMD sempron 3400+ socket 939, 512mb ram. I was looking at building a new PC but if this is the case I may reconsider.

the reason Im asking is because my cpu usuage is usually <30%...watching dvds its ~55%...im thinking there should be enough cpu power there to run blu ray if Im understanding this correctly.

I don't really know so imma try and give you some logic :)

If you build a new comp your gonna buy a new gpu anyways right? Just buy the gpu and if it doesn't work out either upgrade your cpu (s939 cpus are dirt cheap now) or build your new comp.

where do you find socket 939 cpu's cheap? only ones I can find are on ebay for $200+

FWIW I found a site that says the recommended cpu would be a x2 4400...and you might be able to run a fast single core. So whats a "fast" single core?

If your going to upgrade the CPU, there is no point staying single core anymore, as dual core prices are dropping.

As for the GPU. They do support the CPU in generating the images, and do most of the calculation work, but it still needs to run by the CPU if I'm not mistaken, but your right in saying that the GPU will do the decoding work.

You'll also probably be stuck with using an older AGP based GPU, which will lower your choices signicantly with the motherboard you have now, running that Socket 939 processor.

Ive got pcie x16 on my mobo....but the mobo is OEM and doesnt have any OC support in the BIOS.
I've got a couple parts saved in newegg, Ill just build new. Besides I should be able to find a motherboard with on board graphics that will run blu-ray right?
I dont even have a large desire to watch blu-ray, I just want to keep the system easily compatible for easy future upgrade ability.

Back
Top Bottom