For or Against the Death Penalty

After that long though... its like...wow... half your life gone because of some people in a room saying so.

I'm half way between being for it, and against it.

For it, because these murderers/rapers, etc, tend to get out a few years after, and a life sentence is never a life sentence here.

Against it, because we are people trapped in a society, where there is no real freedom anyway, admit it.
Were animals (we are), but governed in a protective bubble by other people. No other animal lives this way in the wild.
So, why should we as humans really accept that someone can just end it?

I don't get 100% what I'm trying to say, and probably hasn't been explained enough.

I am for it.. If you kill someone, then you yourself deserve the same fate

Ghandi had some interesting things to say about the eye for an eye saying. something about the world going blind...

I don't agree with the death penalty, but I find it difficult to support the idea of paying for people to sit in a small room for their whole lives...

thus I think that they should re-introduce chain gangs. make the crims do something good and worthwhile.

yes it will they will still have a license attached to them for the rest of their lives which is the duration of the sentence "Life", having to comply with the terms of a license is a great loss of liberty even if you have completely reformed
Imagine as a fully grown adult having to get permission before moving house

imagine what it would be like if every prospective employer cvould see that you where in fact an ex con out on license

Yes but imagine having the life of some one you loved being snatched away and having to live your life knowing that the person who hurt your family so much can still be allowed to walk the streets, in any circumstance.

Yes but imagine having the life of some one you loved being snatched away and having to live your life knowing that the person who hurt your family so much can still be allowed to walk the streets, in any circumstance.

imagine it in reverse , criminals have lives and famillies too . just because they have commited crimes dosent mean that their families suddenly stop caring about them . Are you then saying that because someone has killed a member of your family you have a right to take away the member of someone elses family surely you wouldnt want to inflict the greif you are feeling on another

and this then turns into an argument about what the role of prisions should then be should they be there to protect the public and reform criminals and then reintegrate them into society or should prisions be there soley for punishment purposes

And what i am saying is that you are still restricted in what you can do for the rest of your life you arent just walking free like many people think you are a lot of your liberty can be take away by a licence . I dont think that we should keep non dangerous offenders locked up , it costs £30k a year to keep someone in prision and unless they are a danger to the public i dont think they should be there . So i agree with the current situation where if a parole board decides you are safe to the public you are released with a license and monitored on the outside . I think that should be so for all violent criminals as well not just murderers , currently once you have servied your sentence for other crimes you are let out at the end . I Think all sentences for violent crimes such as murder,rape,gbh,attempted murder ,attempted rape and child sex offences should be a mandatory life sentence and then a parole board decides when your no longer a danger

I also agree with root that we should be making prisioners do something for the good of society whilst they are in prision wether that involves them building community buildings or working on community projects i dont want to be paying 30k a year for someone to be sitting in a box doing nothing

For it, because these murderers/rapers, etc, tend to get out a few years after, and a life sentence is never a life sentence here.

its misinformed comments like that which would bring back the death penalty not understanding all the facts

clearly murderers are not let out in a few years there are in fact some famous examples of murderers who will be in prision for the rest of their lives
e.g. harold shipman would have been in prision for the rest of his life had he not suceeded in killing himself, the ian brady one of the moors murderers will most certainly die in prision like his accomplaice . Also the Steve Wright the serial killer from Ipswich is on a whole life tarif meaning he will also die in jail .

There are crimes for which death is a fitting punishment, but our justice system is too imperfect to impose irreversible punishments.

We should not be executing people because we can't be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE. Even if someone confesses or pleads guilty, no judge can determine if this was forced or done to protect someone else or genuine.

Also the argument about it costing too much money to keep them in jail for life... The death penalty is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more expensive than just keeping them in jail forever. The appeals process costs so much money. It usually involves a government-provided attorney. Also, maintaining a facility for it will cost an unbelievable amount of money. In the end, it costs well over a million dollars to execute a convict in the United States.

In addition... Since the early 90s when they decided DNA evidence is conclusive in court, over 130 death row inmates have been exonerated. In other words, we were going to KILL them for their crimes, and then it turns out they didnt do it.

We still see stories, even this year, about people who were wrongly convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Imagine if we had killed them instead...?

Eye for an eye. You kill, you will be killed.

that is symbolic retribution. Made famous by Dante's Inferno.

An eye for an eye is taken out of context. In context it is saying when someone punches the side of your face, you turn the other way so they can punch the other side. That is from the Bible.

I am against it because the government shouldn't be the God of our lives. Also many innocent people die from it...

imagine it in reverse , criminals have lives and famillies too . just because they have commited crimes dosent mean that their families suddenly stop caring about them . Are you then saying that because someone has killed a member of your family you have a right to take away the member of someone elses family surely you wouldnt want to inflict the greif you are feeling on another

Ahh, I have a new theory, how about if someone kills a member of your family then rather than sentencing them to death, you sentence a member of their family to death, then they have to live their lives without their loved ones, and have to live with the burden of knowing that it's their fault.

I Think all sentences for violent crimes such as murder,rape,gbh,attempted murder ,attempted rape and child sex offences should be a mandatory life sentence and then a parole board decides when your no longer a danger

not being funny, but if someone abuses a child, and there is irrefutable evidence, (like they videoed it and there is DNA evidence, people saw them and they admit that they did it). then why keep them in prison at cost. why execute them at more cost.

sentenced to death then taken from the dock downstairs to the cells in the court house where a bullet is swiftly administered to their face.

total cost, the cost of a bullet, (about 50p?)

edit- you'll probably find that it costs more than you said to keep this kind of criminal locked up as they generally have solitary cells in maximum security prisons, they have to be guarded so that they are not killed by other prisoners, and have to be put on suicide watch, (i.e someone always has to be watching them) if you say that one person can guard them then that's split into three shifts, even if you said that a prison officer gets £20k a year, then that's £60k per year before you consider the cost of their clothes, accommodation meals, any medical care that they may require...

it might cost £30k a year to keep a regular prisoner, but for the really nasty ones, like Ian Huntley or Fred West it's likely to cost considerably more.

Back
Top Bottom