Help children by helping me

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight

Beta member
Hello, I'm new here and I have little to no knowledge of setting up servers. I'm part of a charity that is building a library in a developing country. Unfortunately, the area has no internet connection.

We plan on using a hard drive full of downloaded books and resources(it's all legal and donated). Someone told me I could use the hard drive as a proxy server, but I'm not sure how that would work.

The library is expected to have approximately 30 netbooks with an XP OS and one more powerful computer run by a librarian that we'll train. If anyone could point me to resources explaining how to set up a central server connecting all the computers and the hardrive, and the materials needed to do so I would be grateful. I've been looking online, but have been unsuccessful.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

the easiest way is using MySQL, a free server program designed to make your personal computer a web server for your website. check it out. if you figure out how to totally set it up, do tell me, as i have spent many hours trying to figure it out with no luck =[

MYSQL is a database server not a webserver,
an easy way would be to get a wifi router (and wifi cards if the netbooks don't have them built in) to connect all the computers together on a local area network. Then using windows file shareing you can share the harddrive or a folder on it (if your sharing ebooks you might want to set it to read only so they cannot be delete or changed except rom the main computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom