Fans momentarily spin, but no power.

I used the other 4 pin cable i received with the power supply. Everything works fine until I plug the hard drives in. What is causing this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815001

No, I haven't tried that yet. Okay, so it works with one hard drive and not the other. What does this mean exactly?

Goosed hard drive? I'm not entirely sure why it would stop the computer from booting, unless something is shorting somewhere. I've had dead hard drives in machines before and it just takes forever for the machine to POST, but they always booted.

But the power cable is now working with that hard drive disconnected?

Goosed hard drive? I'm not entirely sure why it would stop the computer from booting, unless something is shorting somewhere. I've had dead hard drives in machines before and it just takes forever for the machine to POST, but they always booted.

But the power cable is now working with that hard drive disconnected?

Yes, it works fine with the first HDD plugged in. But it won't boot because it was being used in RAID 0. Plugging the second one in causes the computer to not boot.

It works fine with another power supply. Is it a short circuit problem?

Another update. The computer doesn't boot with the hard drives plugged in. What does this mean?

Check the power lead to that drive. Check for any screw or piece of metal touching the drive circuit board. If good with nothing touching the drive where it's not supposed to, try powering the drive off another connector.
The psu is detecing a short and shutting down.

With my new PSU, I had to push the SATA power cable in real hard before it would fit in right without shorting out.

Bump!

Can anyone answer my questions on why it doesn't boot with the second hard drive plugged in on the Serial ATA power cable?

Back
Top Bottom