Limited Connection or "Local Only"

DPtheGod

Baseband Member
Hello,

I went to my uncle's lot today, where a network is set up, and tried to help an employee get his computer online. His computer is the ONLY computer on the network that has no internet access, and displays the "Limited Connection" message at first, then says "Local Only." I tried to use the ipconfig /release and renew functions, but they did not even release the IP. In addition, I tried using the Vista repair and diagnostics to fix the adapter, and obtain new IP info, but it did not work.

I tried to reset the whole IP stack, which failed to fix the problem. I moved his computer to another station, which had working internet access, and it did not work.

I went to Windows Update, and saw that his NIC had an available update. It's the RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet card. Unfortunately, since it cannot connect to the internet, it cannot download and install the update.

I don't know what to do anymore, and I plan to go back tomorrow with my laptop ready to transfer any patches or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or any fixes or patches that you know of?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Does your uncle have a DHCP server? If so, does it have enough addresses to lease out another one? Have you tried setting the Pc's IP address manually to one that is not in use?

Yeah it uses a DHCP server. When I checked the start and end addresses, it seemed to have a range of 250 addresses. It also only detects three devices connected to the network. The three main computers that are plugged into the three of the four available ports, and then it doesn't even detect his computer which is connected to the other port.

And, unfortunately, I don't recall how to set the IP address manually. :( lol. Embarrassing, eh? I guess I could look up how to.

In the event that neither of those work, do you have any other ideas?

when you plug it in and it tells you that you have limited connectivity, do this:
1.) Start menu
2.) Run
3.) Type: cmd
4.) press enter
5.) type: ipconfig/all
6.) Press enter

What is the ip address you see, default gateway, dhcp server (if there), and primary dns server?

Here is the info:

IPv4: 169.254.96.120
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS Server: fec0:0:0:ffff::x1

There is no DHCP server info there, though.

169 means that it's not being assigned an Ip address by the dhcp server and can't see it.

go to your network connections and right click on the local area connection or whatever is listed in there, and choose properties. From here if you click on ip protocol (in the list), you can manually set the ip and default gateway and dns servers. copy the settings (except for the ip address) from the other pc's and see what that does for you.

Back
Top Bottom