For or Against the Death Penalty

@Root:
I know where your coming from but no system is perfect, never will be perfect. While improvements helps alleviate certain problems, others are created. Think of how far ahead Forensic science will be in 20 years, it will make the stuff today look bad. Much like the stuff that is used today makes things 20 years ago look bad. It's gonna be a never ending cycle.

I am for the death penalty, while I personally would rather die than spend my life in prison. I have family members who are correctional officers at federal prisons, they work around some bad dudes. What they've told me is that a lot of convicted murderers don't give a damn weather they live or die. And a lot of them can make a damn good living in prison, better than some people on the outside who make a honest living.

I suppose I feel when there is no doubt in the juror's, judges minds that a person is guilty, and all the forensic evidence points to them then I feel they should be killed as quickly as the law allows.

but would you not then be putting the immense pressure of if someone lives or dies on the jurors shoulders i personally would not like to decide if someone lives or dies

but would you not then be putting the immense pressure of if someone lives or dies on the jurors shoulders i personally would not like to decide if someone lives or dies

In a way the fate of the person is still left on the jurors shoulders by having to make the decision to convict or not.

Like I said, even though I am for it. Death or Life in prison is relatively the same in my books.

2)The judge will give a minimum sentence that you must serve no matter how good you are in prision , at the moment i believe the minimum judges give by convention is 15 years however in extreme cases in fact long terms are handed out . For instance Ian huntley was given a 40years minimum term and in the case of Harold Shipman he was given a whole life tarif meaning he was never to be released
3)once you have served this minimum term the judge issued to you you may be considered for paarole by the parole board however if they fell that you still pose a danger to the public then you wont be being released from prision

License or no license this is still a life sentence which wont be served by these persons for their whole life.

In a way the fate of the person is still left on the jurors shoulders by having to make the decision to convict or not.

yes but by convicting someone all you are doing is sending them to prision which if they are later found innocent can be reversed sure there is still damage but thats why in this country at least there is a compensation scheme in place

License or no license this is still a life sentence which wont be served by these persons for their whole life.

yes it will they will still have a license attached to them for the rest of their lives which is the duration of the sentence "Life", having to comply with the terms of a license is a great loss of liberty even if you have completely reformed
Imagine as a fully grown adult having to get permission before moving house

imagine what it would be like if every prospective employer cvould see that you where in fact an ex con out on license

and we arent just letting these people out willy nilly the parole board first have to decide that you are no longer a danger a nd if they are deemed no longer a danger by an independant board of people then why waste money keeping them locked up

and in the extreme cases criminals who are a serious danger to the public are in fact kept in prision for life such as ian huntley the yorkshire ripper, moors murderers etc etc none of them people will ever see another day of freedom

Your right muz I did forget about that for a few will posting

hey im not saying that deciding to convict someone for a crime like murder where there whole life will be changed dramatically is easy and stress free nor is it a decision that should be tken lightly but adding the life and death decision in there will just tip it over the edge IMO ,
i mean you will have some people who just let that final power to decide someones death go to their head and cloud their judgement (im sure we all see power mad people in everyday life ) such as cops,teachers,prision guards
and then you will have reluctant jurors who are too reluctant to convict people because they dont want to take someone elses life away

also it will creat a whole new tool for defence lawyers to use if the jury are already under stress because they are decising someones ultimate fate they could plant a seed of doubt in their mind with a lot less effort because the jury are more likely to be critical of everything they see/hear in the courtroom

Another thing that could happen is if a jury dont agree with the death penalty they could decide to not find a person guilty even if they think the person is actually guilty because a jury are sworn to secracy about what they discuss in their jury room they could just let their opinion about the death penalty stop justice prevailing

Back
Top Bottom