Reasons I Need A Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
so because its the best you need it? Just because AWD is the best in snow (which is different from 4x4 and you obviously don't know that) doesn't mean its immune to losing control. it gives far too many divers a false sense of security, and they fail to realize that they can't stop faster than any other car with the same tires. You will be better off with a cheap FWD car and some driving lessons than you will be with an AWD car.

so because its the best you need it? Just because AWD is the best in snow (which is different from 4x4 and you obviously don't know that) doesn't mean its immune to losing control. it gives far too many divers a false sense of security, and they fail to realize that they can't stop faster than any other car with the same tires. You will be better off with a cheap FWD car and some driving lessons than you will be with an AWD car.
Dude...I already talked about that a few pages back. I said this about 5 times:
AWD is simply a safety net
Of course I don't need it but it's convenient as hell, especially in the Buffalo winter. And it's 100% worth it for the convenience.

And again we go back to the freestyler is retarded idea...O YA I HAVE AWDzz I CANz STOP ON A DimE in T3h Sn0WWW!1!! Okay guys :rolleyes:

How do I obviously not know that? We're not even talking about 4WD here! Except when I (correctly) addressed my friend's Explorer as having 4WD.

I know you are the ultimate authority on driving, so I should just stop arguing...

lets get a few things straight. If you see it as a safety net you are going to push it way past its limits. TONS of new drivers do this and wreck their car. Try driving through 8" on snow. My mom did it with a FWD unintelligent drive system. I probably could NOT have done the same with an AWD vehicle. SAVE a LOT of money by buying a CHEAP beater car and then taking some of that money you saved and take some driving lessons. Because knowing how to recover from oversteer and under steer will get you a hell of a lot further in saving your ass than a AWD car will. AWD cars only beat out FWD when it comes to getting moving. They don't excel ANYWHERE else.

And if you have winter tires (as you should) that will not be a problem.

The only difference between 4x4 and AWD is that AWD is always on, and 4x4 is selectable... The Ford explorers say 4x4 auto, which means the 4x4 kicks in when necessary, but that is actually considered an AWD drivetrain. The rear to front differential thing isnt true. Both the front and rear difs are open, unless you get a L/S rearend, which costs a bit more. And with both the front and rear being open, it makes turning just fine.

This thread is still going? Hahaha

Let the lil kid get the car he wants who gives a crap his parents are paying for it not us...

Anything you say he will come up with a response just let it go guys...:D:D:D

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/45193/article.html

Slow down: Driving too fast is the No. 1 winter driving error, Pearl says. "Read the road to choose the appropriate speed," he instructs. Slippery roads make every mistake happen faster and more dramatically. And don't think antilock brakes, stability systems or other vehicle control mechanisms will help you if you're sliding, Pearl warns. "If you're going too fast, you're going to go off the road and nothing's going to change that."

On snowy or icy roads, speed will get you in a lot of trouble and nothing, not ABS, all-wheel drive, traction control or stability control, will save you. If you end up skidding, as this driver did, it's important not to succumb to "target fixation" (note the telephone pole off the right front fender) and to take appropriate evasive action. The right reactions can be learned at a certified driving school. (Photo by Neil Dunlop)

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/fourwheeldri_sobx.htm

One mistake that drivers make - especially the green ones - is to assume that since their four wheel drive vehicle can go, that it can also stop on snow or ice. But when it comes to stopping in wintry conditions, a four wheel drive can be just as much of a two ton "pig on ice" as any other vehicle. Why? Because, if all four wheels are on slippery ice, for example, what's going to help the vehicle when you hit the brakes? It doesn't matter if it's four wheels or two, it's still just rubber on ice. And that combination can mean sliding out of control. Again, this is why some owners of four wheel drive cars, trucks, and SUV's put chains on all four tires in the winter time.

So, if you're the proud owner of a four wheeler, keep in mind that your vehicle does have the advantage of having power to all four wheels. This can provide better traction when you are driving in the snow. This is probably the biggest reason that you decided to purchase this type of vehicle.

But, you must also keep in mind that your four wheel power isn't going to provide any better stopping traction than a two wheeler has. Therefore, you should always drive carefully in the wintry weather in order to avoid having an accident.

That last quote mark posted is the one you need to read Rubber. It's what I've been saying all along. AWD provides better traction, even though it has no effect on braking.

Thanks mark.

And superman, if you have a 4x4 there is no differential. Thats why its hard to turn on dry pavement. Look at the wheel paths in the second example. All 4 are different. With a diff, one of the wheels must turn at the ratio equal to the ratio of the diff. So in 4x4 mode, on wheel on the front and one on the back will be spinning at the same speed.

Now with a AWD car there is a diff to allow those to turn at different speeds. Preferably a limited slip diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom