For or Against the Death Penalty

personally, i would rather die then spend my life in prison, its like doing them a favor imo.....
You say that now, but if you're actually faced with execution, don't you think it would be a little different.

And I am for it, if the person has done such terrible things, what's the point in keeping them alive?

Eye for an eye IMO. If they kill, we should justify the dead properly.

thats out of context. look it up in context. What you speak of is symbolic retribution

Anyways, I'm for it, but I think there are better options. Like way smaller cells and no perks.

i think the death penalty is acceptable in certain cases... when ever harm is done to a child such as killing or rape and i think when ever multiple murders are committed by the same person it is acceptable
most murder isnt as cold blooded as they seem
some time rage takes over and should a person be forgiven for this? no
put to death? i don't believe so
every case is different and needs to be handled in a different way

If it's just a temporary rage, most courts would consider a verdict of manslaughter, i don't think you should consider a death penalty for that necessarily, but premeditated murder is a different thing.

im completely against it.

reson being is that there are several hundreds of people that are wrongly convicted of crimes every year around the world. majority of them not for serious crimes like murder but none the less there are a few.

think about it your dad / mum / brother / sister gets the death sentence for a crime you know they didnt commit but they were wrongly convicted.

I do however believe that a life sentence should be a life sentece not like it is in the uk.

Agreement with your last line definitely. Whats the point in making an appeal process that lets you out after 10-15 years of a LIFE sentence. Where's the deterrent?

I think I am against it.
For one reason, I don't believe it is man's decision who dies and when.
Yes I know, if they kill then it's the same thing.
Would you like to think the government / law is full of murderers?

I think that jail should be totally redone.
Very small cells, toilet sink in there of course, with a crappy bed. No windows for sun light, meal time will be spent IN their cells. They will only have one hour of yard time per day. No lights near the cells, unless of course a guard is with in distance. The cells are underground with of course extreme measures of concrete.

I'd say I'm against it, this week in the England there is a guy who has been released after serving 27 years for murder because DNA evidence (technology that wasn't as reliable 27 years ago) has proved he didn't do it. Unless people are perfect there will always be innocent people convicted

Personally i am against the death penalty because of the potential for innocent people to be killed , i mean whats to stop people setting people up it can happen with other less serious crimes if someone had enough hate for someone they could go to enough effort to get a sample of someones DNA and kill someone and then leave another persons DNA all over the scene

and another argument being who has the right to decide when another persons life should end i know the murderers have done that but isnt it then hypocritical to say well you have no right to decide when someone elses life should end but we are going to end yours

However i do think prisions should not be comfortable places they should be made as harsh and hard on prisioners as possible , right now they have a lot of luxaries which i would stripe them off , give them the basics they need

Agreement with your last line definitely. Whats the point in making an appeal process that lets you out after 10-15 years of a LIFE sentence. Where's the deterrent?
in this country life means life ,
Heres what happens
1)at yout trial if you are found guilty of a crime carrying a maximum sentence of life then the judge will give you a life sentence , with some offences like murder the life sentence is mandatory and the judge has no discretion over what sentence to give
2)The judge will give a minimum sentence that you must serve no matter how good you are in prision , at the moment i believe the minimum judges give by convention is 15 years however in extreme cases in fact long terms are handed out . For instance Ian huntley was given a 40years minimum term and in the case of Harold Shipman he was given a whole life tarif meaning he was never to be released
3)once you have served this minimum term the judge issued to you you may be considered for paarole by the parole board however if they fell that you still pose a danger to the public then you wont be being released from prision
4)once you have successfully applied for and been granted parole a probation officer will become involved , their main job is to reintegrate the person into society and arrange such things as housing training and employment
5)once released you will be let out on licence which means you must keep in regular contact with a probation officer or the police . It could also mean there are certain people you will not be allowed to have contact with , so for instance if your murder also involved abuse of children then your license will also contain restrictions on contact with children , or the license could contain an instruction for the offender to continue some self improvement program . Another thing the license will contain is a clause which means that you can be recalled to prision at any time to continue serving your life sentence , however this is only used if it is decided you still pose a danger to the public so if you are comiiting violent offences or hanging round schools when you arent supposed to be . And this license runs for the rest of your life

So whilst yes you will be let out of prision after 15 years you will still have this license hanging over you for the rest of your days that and a conviction for murder will make it extremely difficult to live any normal life ,What do you think the job prospects for a convicted murderer out on license would be like .And then even if you just commit a violent crime that would get most people only 6months in prision you could posibbly end up being back in prision for an undetermined ammount of time

Back
Top Bottom