Strange Issue - Windows reporting only 500MB free on C:\

this is a silly question, don't take offense, but have you emptied the recycle bin...?

ohhh man...

well I ran CC cleaner and diskcleanup..

they empty it for you..

But to answer your question yes, i have also manually emptied it...

Still need help on this issue guys

ohhh man...

well I ran CC cleaner and diskcleanup..

they empty it for you..

But to answer your question yes, i have also manually emptied it...

Still need help on this issue guys

have you tried searches for even smaller files...? like files 100MB or greater...? I feel funny offering advice because I've seen you post here for a while and you know what you're doing (you're definitely not a n00b) I don't think anyone here will come up with anything you haven't already tried, I would just try to copy all the important files somewhere and reinstall the OS...

have you tried searches for even smaller files...? like files 100MB or greater...? I feel funny offering advice because I've seen you post here for a while and you know what you're doing (you're definitely not a n00b) I don't think anyone here will come up with anything you haven't already tried, I would just try to copy all the important files somewhere and reinstall the OS...

I'm glad you recognize that i'm no noob.. Just really am scratching my head on this one...

I searched for files 150MB and greater and found 1 (an outlook .pst file *archive* file)

I know reinstalling the OS would fix this, but I didnt want to take that path if i could help it.

there is a tool called folderinfo, (it's free) that finds out where your disk space has gone.

funny thing is it looks like you've included all files in your search, (including hidden files). so I don't quite understand why there is a difference in the space reported. (unless in the second screen shot it was still counting up the files that were using space).

Here's another program you can run to clean out things like log files. Don't change any of the setting except to untick test drive. Like ccleaner, run it over and over until it doesn't find anything. http://www.brothersoft.com/find-junk-files-119783.html
Also run disk cleanup from the hard drive properties.
You know if you work in safe mode yoou can clean off things that don't get cleaned off in normal mode because they're in use.

Clear out the prefetch folder, too.
When you select show hidden files and folders in the Folder Options window, did you de-select to hide protected operating system files (two below the hide / show hidden files and folders option). If you haven't done it, that'd explain where all the other files are.

Hey guys, I didnt get to do any of the last three responses... As i needed to get this done, so I re-installed.. :rolleyes:

And what do you know all is well ;)

Wish i could have found the cause!

Thanks for your help..

Case closed.

Back
Top Bottom