Help Needed.. Installing New Hard Drive

luke88

Solid State Member
Hi all,

New on here and having some problems.
My Hard Drive I had was corrupted and I couldnt wipe it so got myself a new one. Im only running an oldish Pentium 4 3ghz processor, Asus Motherboard, 1gb Ram..

I got a new hard drive, 160gb PATA IDE. And i have set the jumpers to master etc etc but when I put it in and turn the computer on it gets as far as the ASUS P4R800-VM Startup screen, the one where it says in the corner "Press DEL to run Setup" and it crashes basically.

I can press DEL if I do it straight away although this doesnt take me to the Setup screen and just to the screen before the setup one. Then it crashes there.

Any ideas why it could be doing this?!

Was running Win XP by the way.

Many Thanks

Luke

First format your new hard drive.
Then get into CMOS and ask it to find the hard drive.

Welcome to the forum Luke.

Did you knock any RAM sticks during the install? I know they lock into place but it can be easy to press lock levers accidently which will pop up the stick.

Just make sure the RAM and CPU heatsink is seated correctly.

Thanks for the replies.

I cant get onto anything to format the drive. Any ideas on that?!

Also I did think that the RAM could be broke although I've swapped and changed the 2 sticks around and all the same results.

I'll double check the cpu heatsink though.

Any other ideas?

One thing i have noticed when i change the RAM about.
Is that there are 4 slots for RAM. 2 blue and 2 brown. when i have a piece of ram a specific one of the brown slots the monitor never comes on when i turn the power of the PC on. the PC sounds like its running although the monitor doesnt read it and doesnt pick anything up.. Weird?
Any ideas?

Thanks

How are you typing now? Could you not hook the drive up to your current computer? You could do this via IDE -> USB cable. There is a number of possibilities.. If you have an external HDD box then you could just plug it in. but you must format the drive.

You could try and put the OS install cd in the disk drive then try and start up. That is what I would do, hopefully you should go to the install screen which should at one point format the HDD.

You have to install an OS before you can use it. Put your XP or OS disk in and run it step by step. First you will format the disk, create a partition and then install the OS.

Hi all, Thanks again for the replies.

Im currently on a laptop on here.

Basically what it does is I power up the computer. the first screen is a black screen saying a few of the components, such as RAM. Then the next screen is a screen Saying ASUS across it with the motherboard model underneath. On this screen in the bottom right corner is where it says Press DEL for setup.

On the ASUS screen is where it always crashes. The computer beeps twice from somewhere and then nothing happens, this screen just stays on.

If when this screen first loads up I press DEL then another screen comes up which is the loading up screen of the setup, where you can normally change the bootup priority etc.. Although this loading screen Crashes too. It just stays on and doesnt load the setup screen.

If i boot up with the OS disc in it doesnt make any difference because it doesnt get to the screen of boot up where it would say press any key to boot up from cd or whatever.

Im getting really stuck and frustrated with it because im sure its next to nothing. A friend said that the amount of beeps will determine what is wrong or something. And it beeps twice before the crash.

Should I try and use a different computer to put the OS onto the Hard Drive and see if then it will work?

I was also told it could be a processor problem although I cant think why this would be the case when it worked perfectly OK with the old Hard drive in until that went corrupt and wouldnt format.

Any other ideas?

Many Thanks

Luke

Try taking the ram out, and boot it up, see if it gets farther. Then re-introduce 1 stick at a time. It's a hardware issue since it won't even get to the HD or CDrom. Most likely a Bad board or ram, but it could be other things also.
I know you said you tried moving it around, but have you tried booting it without the RAM?

The colors represent which slots when installed will allow the memory to run in dual-channel mode.

Also, take out all the unneccesaries, (video card, sound card, floppy drive, etc...) and try booting that way. At this point it sounds like you might be RMAing the Mobo.

Ok.

Two beeps means theres a Parity circuit failure. Basically a problem with the RAM or the motherboard itself.

Make sure the RAM sticks are in the blue slots.

Back
Top Bottom