Reasons I Need A Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that we're not trusting your judgment about what safe driving is, it's the fact that you're 16 years old and no 16 year old can possible have the driving experience necessary to ensure safe driving. Throwing a 16 year old behind the wheel of a fast car is always a recipe for disaster.
Okay, so I may not drive as safely as my father or a driver with many years experience. Let me rephrase then. If I am being cautious, I am relatively safe behind the wheel.

IMO, Money has NOTHING to do with what class you fit into. There can be RICH people, like david beckham who are definatley not upper class, and there can be ex-lords, who have no money but still have a high social status.

UK...£7.5k is more than $12k.
No, it's not, $12,000 USD = £8,399 GBP so actually 7.5K is quite a bit less at ten thousand seven hundred dollars, giving you over a grand in change, which, if you are planning to modify the car gives you a very nice pot to start that with.

Okay, sure, I just want the car to race it :rolleyes:
ummm, it was you who brought up racing. nobody at the outset brought up racing until you mentioned it. but whilst we're on that subject...
But even if the S4 has 500 more pounds, 50 more hp is more significant that that.
And yes, I know that the S4 is significantly faster than the GTi. Even though I am a "crap" driver :rolleyes:

First I didn't say that you were a crap driver, I said that you may be,

Second did you actually read what I wrote, perhaps if you had you'd havev understood...
so you're aware that a high powered crotch rocket like the bike I mentioned would whip your car, not because it's more powerful, but because it's a lot lighter. but you don't seem to understand that a lighter car may be able to beat your car, I specifically stated that the power to weight ratio of your car wasn't all that much larger, and that you only have a few percent difference. what was difficult to understand about that.
your car will go 0 - 60 1.5 seconds faster, (which isn't the greatest amount), assuming that you are good at driving it and can get the most out of it.
he's got a top speed of 146 yours will be 155, assuming that you can get there... the point is that yes, you have 50BHP more, but you also have more weight, when you look at the 0-60 time, and the power to weight (which the bike example proves is more important than just power) then perhaps you might get it into your head that you're more guaranteed to beat this guy anyway.
So, if you actally look at the tech specs I linked to. you have only marginally greater top speed, and only marginally greater power to weight ratio... I wouldn't say that your S4 was significantly faster than the VW GTI.

you may beat him on a 1/4 mile straight strip, but what about an actual track? like one with corners, where a small hatch back will be infinitely more manoeuvrable than a large saloon car.

I could have a FWD car, but AWD is clearly safer and easier, and my parents care about that. They are not going to buy me a truck.
ummm, no AWD doesn't make it safer, air bags, side impact bags, traction control ABS etc make a car safer.

And why aren't they going to buy you a truck, they are big, safe, AWD they seem to check all of your boxes except the social status at school box

And then when you're going around turns at 5mph, instead of going left or right you keep going straight toward a ditch - regardless of how you turn the wheel. And your brakes do nothing at that point.

Depends...if you're going too fast, then your brakes aren't going to do it. That is when you should "power through the turn" like I said.

If you're going as slow as you should be for the conditions, hopefully your brakes will stop you, even if you spin out.

@root I never said I needed AWD to go faster around turns. AWD is simply a safety net. And you get stuck a lot less with AWD.

Ok, perhaps I just read too deeply into what you were saying... but i got the impression that you were suggesting that AWD would help you go faster in the snow... if you're going at 5MPH then like I said, you'll still break on 4 wheel, still turn with only 2. I don't see how AWD will be safer. and I'm still yet to hear you prove that. however, yes, of course I completely agree that AWD will help you get stuck less in slippery conditions.

Chris, let's check out the price of a new AWD Volvo S40, the smallest Volvo sedan. Well over $30k. Almost 3 times the price of that Audi.
So now we're comparing a 7 year old audi, with a brand new volvo and saying that one costs more than the other?

having looked on a second hand car website, I've found the same car you're getting at the following prices, 2000 plate from £4k up to 7K (GBP)
an 04 plate at £8K (included a price range since I can't find the exact same age car on the site.
whilst 01 plate volvo s40, (2 litre automatic) starts at £3K and for an 05 model goes around £5k.
so once again you're wrong, and a little research proves that (second hand) Volvos are actually less expensive and the have a better proven safety record.
(though they do lack the cool factor of the audi).

I disapprove of young people owning their own cars anyway. Really, I'm insured on my parents' cars and although they're not mine, they're stylish and in good condition. People I know who have their own cars have laughable junk because it's all they can afford. It looks ridiculous and they often can't justify owning them in any case.
I don't understand this at all, how can you disapprove of young people owning cars? young people have to get about too, to get to school and/or work, and if they own a junk car it's likely because that's all that they can afford. everyone has to start somewhere.

UK...£7.5k is more than $12k.
My dads earnings are dependent upon his company, and my mom probably makes a little over $100k. That would be upper middle class. If only one of my parents worked, I would only be mid-middle class.
Just because I have a used $12k Audi and my teacher has a new $25k Civic. My car might be nicer, but it's also older and worth a lot less.
When did I boast about my grades? I said I am proud of them...that's not boasting.
You say there is no flaming...while UK just insinuated that I have a small penis...
And I said that I do not need one, but I would like one. It would not even be my car, it would be my father's, with me as a secondary driver.
Okay, sure, I just want the car to race it :rolleyes:

I said I can drive safely. Do I always? No. But in bad conditions I can drive pretty safely. I'd be willing to bet I'm more likely to get in an accident on a 75 degree sunny day than during a winter storm.

Chris, let's check out the price of a new AWD Volvo S40, the smallest Volvo sedan. Well over $30k. Almost 3 times the price of that Audi.

I didn't say a new one...

Okay, exchange rates change, but UK is ragging on me for a car that is almost the same price as the one his father bought his brother...

Again, I am not stupid, I realize that weight plays a factor into speed, i.e. the Lotus Elise. Which is why the fact that he weighs 300lbs and I weigh 150lbs will also factor in.
The top speed is 143 I think, and it is electronically limited. I will repeat myself that an Audi S4 stock is faster than a MkIV GTi VR6, bottom line. A chipped Audi S4 is significantly faster than it (more boost).

AWD is safer in the sense that you are less likely to crash from losing traction, as you lose traction far less often.

I'm glad you guys can look up cars from around where you live, but that doesn't apply to me.
Cheapest Volvo sedan with AWD within 25 miles of Buffalo and with reasonable mileage:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...smission=&max_price=&cardist=2&standard=false
$16k

I don't understand why everyone cares what kind of car he's getting. It's not like any of you will change his mind, allow the dude to do what he wants. Grab the Audi, and do whatever you want with it.

yeah, I pretty gave up.
This thread probably ended quicker if he didnt post about the car and cost, and just asked for reasons instead.

yeah, I pretty gave up.
This thread probably ended quicker if he didnt post about the car and cost, and just asked for reasons instead.
I didn't say anything about the cost in the OP, I simply posted the car in case people were interested. Once everyone came in giving me crap, I posted the price.

Also, here are the specs for the GTI:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/project_gti.asp said:
Baseline Volkswagen VR6 24v information
Engine: VR 6-cylinder, 24V DOHC
Transmisson: 6-speed manual O2M
HP (BHP/RPM) 200 @ 6,200 (147kW @6200)
Torque ( Lbs-Ft/RPM) 195 @ 3,200 (265 Nm @3200)
Curb weight: 3,036 lbs
0-60 (sec.) 6.5 seconds
1/4 mile (sec-mph): 15.2 seconds
Top Spd (mph) 146.00 mph

Compared to the S4:
Factory Specs
http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/02/sedan.pdf
Curb weight: 3563 lbs
250hp, 265lb/ft
0-60: 5.9
1/4 mile: 14.4

Even the factor rates it faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. But..
http://people.arsc.edu/~munk/S4/index.html
Audi conservatively claims 250hp and 258ft/lb torque.

Dyno tests show it's actually 265hp and 295lb/ft torque which, not surprisingly, matches Audi's original claims for the 1999 European introduction of the car (understating engine power for tax purposes is reportedly quite common practice in Germany)

0-60: Audi conservatively claims 5.9, Car and Driver and Road & Track tested at 5.5 seconds.
And
Another reason I love the S4 is that, like the Merkur, because it's turbocharged and conservatively tuned at the factory, the S4 can easily be modified for more power. For $850 I can get a chip to reprogram its engine computer that will give it 307HP, 365lb/ft torque on 91 octane gas, and a top speed somewhere over 170mph, no physical modifications required. Wilder tuning with upgrades of the turbos, intercoolers, and exhaust can take the engine well over 450HP.
That same chip/tune is now $600 MSRP, can be had for cheaper. It's also 318hp/382lb-ft on 93 octane.
http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/ecu_upgrade_s4.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom