****ing annoying random crashes.

Modular means you can plug in the cables you need to use for your pc, and take out the rest
Making cable management much easier
I have a 600W Rosewill PSU and its been fine for me for about 4 months :p
And AR said that they need minimum 550W, so I don't think that cuts it.

But I'm not getting a 285, a 260 at best.

You want at least 550W and you need 36 amps on the 12v rail to run that card. That's for the Core 216 version. Not too sure about the regular one. It's a sweet card that destroys just about every game.

What would you expect to get in terms of a monster video card for $150-$180 in September
A GTX 260 core 216 would fit the bill.

Would this work?
It's not modular, even though I have no idea what modular means... But I believe it should work, right?
Rosewill power supplies are OK, but for a nice high powered rig, I would suggest going with a quality power supply to avoid any problems down the road. As said before, a modular power supply is one that has detachable cables, allowing you to use only those that you need.

We can't confirm that until he tries a different power supply. It and heat are the primary culprits at this time.

OCZ FTW. Get the one AR suggested. It's got 4-12v rails, whereas the Rosewill has 2. You don't NEED modular. I've never had a modular. Cable management is simply about patience and zip-ties. Plus the OCZ is cheaper in the long run than the Rosewill with the rebate and free shipping (rosewill=no free ship)

OCZ FTW. Get the one AR suggested. It's got 4-12v rails, whereas the Rosewill has 2. You don't NEED modular. I've never had a modular. Cable management is simply about patience and zip-ties. Plus the OCZ is cheaper in the long run than the Rosewill with the rebate and free shipping (rosewill=no free ship)

the number of rails doesn't really matter, it's the total amps on the 12v rails, some people even prefer one big 12v rail, PCP&Cooling only uses one big 12v rail for their psus...

You may want to look into a better cooling solution for the northbridge chip as they are known to get extremely hot and can cause problems such as the ones you are having.

As for a power supply, if you are planning on getting a GTX 285, they require at least a 550W PSU w/40A @12V. This would be a good choice of price, performance and quality: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W

gotta watch those OCZ's though, their connector configuration is sometimes different from the specs, I have a 500w StealthXStream and on the plus side it has an extra PCI-E (6+2) connector (good for me!!!), but instead of 4 molex and 2 SATA, it has 3 SATA and 2 molex connectors, which is bad because it's in my system where I need 4 molex connectors, I have splitters but I always get nervous using them (booo!!!bad OCZ, bad!!!)...

I think Joga or Teny also got one with different connectors than the specs, but I'm not sure, it may have been someone else, but it was discussed on here before...

What would you expect to get in terms of a monster video card for $150-$180 in September, I'm gonna get one for my birthday, btw my case is kinda small (I mean i can fit a monster-sized card in it now...) yes, I am an nvidia fanboy, i reject the ati picture (by picture i mean the gist of what they're trying to say).

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870

It's $9.99 more than your limit, forget the 'picture' and look at their performance and it'll be a lot cheaper in september.

Could you explain to me what the heck a rail does????
And also like I mentioned above, how do I know if my KSI K9N Neo-F V3 will fit in a case before I buy the case?

Rails in a PSU provide the power to the necessary circuits. And you have many rails that will supply the different voltages @ specific amps giving you the total power output per rail.

The idea is that a 'true' rail will be supplied from a seperate regulated circuit, of which there are many in a PSU, and means that the load on 1 rail won't cause the other rails to fluctuate as the load changes. Use the split rails to supply your Graphics card, Mothreboard and the Hard/Optical drives seperatly.

And look for a ATX case to ensure that your motherboard fits.

not trying to be mean but could you possibly answer my questions 0.o?

dude, we've all been answering your questions, have you done anything that we've suggested...? my post was meant to warn you and anyone else that OCZ power supplies can differ from the specs that are listed, there are two instances on this board alone where people have bought OCZ psus and the specs differed from what is listed, if you think about it, it's definitely related to answering your question about which psu to get in that you may not want to get that if you have little need for SATA connectors and need mostly 4 pin molex connectors...

we can't fix your computer from an internet web page, we can only offer you suggestions, finding another psu to borrow was one of those suggestions, if another psu stops the random reboots and blue screens then it's time to pony up for a new psu, if not, then it's something else and more suggestions are needed...

Back
Top Bottom