File Missing on Startup.

Buggie

Solid State Member
I recently uninstalled McAfee Antivirus from my laptop with XP Home and installed Avast. Now, every time the os boots up it displays a message saying McAfee resource dll is missing. I used the uninstall feature in add/remove programs. How do I make this disappear? Thanks in advance.:confused:

It sounds like the uninstaller left something behind in the registry. That's typical for a number of programs. The quick way if you are familiar with the regedit tool is to go into the "HKey_Local_Machine>Software" hive and scroll down through that to see if "any" McAfee items are found there. All it takes is one small entry to be looking for a driver now gone since the unistall took place.

If you didn't reboot inbetween removal of McAfee and starting the installer for Avast that would also be another reason the uninstaller wasn't able to completely everything since a restart generally sees the uninstall completed especially with antivirus programs and hardware drivers/applications. Then you need either a manual edit or hope an automatic registry cleaner will find and remove any entries remaining.

For any manual edit do so with caution or find a restore point if McAfee was only recently installed where you can go back before it. The first option will work if done carefully.

I would also check your Hikey_local_machine>software>microsoft>windows>current version>run folder and make sure there's nothing in there, either (someone please correct me if the path is wrong, I'm doing it from memory since I'm on a linux box right now). I would also check your start up folder in your start menu for anything McAfee related, then go to start > run and open msconfig.exe and go through the files and de-select anything McAfee related (especially the dll file it references).

Back
Top Bottom