I need to block myself from websites -- any ideas?

The Nightingale

Baseband Member
Are there any software programmers that allow you to 'block' yourself from websites for a specified amount of time (password protected)? I have tried programmes before, but usually you can just put the password in and it allows you back on. So I'd need something where you can choose how many days/hours you want to be blocked, and it won't let you in until the time is up.

Is there anything like this available? I'd rather it be free, but I am willing to pay if it's the right product.

I know people might just think 'grow up and abstain from using them.' But this has been a very serious issue for a long time, and I simply don't have the willpower yet . I think if the sites were actually blocked then I would know that there is no point brooding over them anyway, and just get on with things. Then hopefully I would grow out of needing to use them.

Help would be very much appreciated :) :)

can't you just get someone else to make a password for that software
or is it personal stuff lol

Oh for goodness sakes NO. :p It's things like MSN (which I have a major addiction to I think). I also co-own/admin a site that I'm pretty addicted to now. I suppose I could get someone to put the password in for me and not let me back on, but I'd rather oversee it myself.

Anyone have any sensible suggestions, please?

The thing is I have WORK to do atm, and short-term deadlines. So I can't be on at all, but I find it impossible. I know that sounds stupid, but I feel like I'll only be able to concentrate once they're all blocked.

think of 10 random numbers and use that as your pass. Write it down on a piece of paper and hide it somewhere you don't like going

Why don't you just block the websites that you want to stop going to. If you want to go back to the site eventually just unblock it. This doesn't seem very effective if you are that addicted but maybe you will get sick of constantly unblocking /blocking the site from yourself and beat your addiction.

Hmmm, thanks, yes possibly. I'm thinking of just telling someone to do the password for me.

OR just looking away from the screen and typing a random password in? Will I ever be able to get back on though, if that's the case? I'm not sure what to do. *ponders*

Back
Top Bottom