Auto-Created Printer Problem

spideymat1

Beta member
Hello All,

I'm new to posting to the site but have read thru it for a while now to search for some answers. I have a problem with one of my users. I am currently running Windows Server 2003 and users are connecting thru the terminal services. I have a user who is using a laptop with a printer connected to it. The printer will print from the laptop just fine but not from the server. It autocreates onto the server and you can see the print job stating printing but it never prints. I have tried deleting the printer and recreating it but get the same results. I have other users that have local printers that are able to print from the server without any problems. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

do you have drivers for the printer installed on the server?

also some computers just don't work like that, recently at work there was a situation where a user had always been able to print to their computer at home, whilst connected via TS to their computer at work. they moved offices and found that they were unable to do that anymore.

I tried installing drivers on the new PC, opened up various things etc, in the end it turned out that the drivers for the printer just couldn't be installed on the computer, and the only reason it'd worked for her old PC in her old office was because the drivers were installed because there was a printer exactly the same connected to the PC in the office...

Anyway,,, that was a HP multifunction device, (printer/scanner/copier), so if it's the same kind of printer that you;re talking about it can't be done.

also if the local printer is a USB printer then this can't be mapped through a TS session, you have to reconfigure the printer to be recognised as an lpt type printer, and if you do this then you'll loose some capabilities of the printer.

finally. on the TS server,
you can go to control panel > printers

then click file > server properties > drivers (tab) > add to just add a driver without installing the actual printer.

check the event log on the TS server, you may find that the printer isn't being installed because there is no driver installed, (the above method can help that).
if you find that the correct drivers can't be installed, you can use a tool to associate a printer with a compatible driver, (can't remember the name of the tool but search for the error number from the event log in google).

Back
Top Bottom