Reasons I Need A Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly, you did not exactly take the most difficult classes in high school. I definitely earned it. There are members here who can attest to that.

I'm PSEO--(a Minnesota thing) which means that I take all college classes and I have done this my junior and sophomore year of high school. Guess what? I have a 4.2 GPA and I didn't get anything for having great grades while taking the hardest classes available.

You are gonna get more traction on icy gravely than icy pavement. And if your city is like mine the streets don't always get plowed. But as long as there is less than 6" of snow you can get through with FWD just fine. All you need are some winter tires.

You guys haven't driven in Buffalo during storms. I drove my mom's FWD minivan all winter until she sold it. You get caught wrong in one little rut, and your wheels just spin until you dig yourself out.
And then when you're going around turns at 5mph, instead of going left or right you keep going straight toward a ditch - regardless of how you turn the wheel. And your brakes do nothing at that point.

AWD isn't the answer to everything, but having experienced the difference (my mom now has an AWD Highlander) it is a nice safety net.

Snow tires help, but they only do so much.

@ dude - good for you, congratulations. My dad made a deal with me though, regardless of whether or not you guys think it's fair.

You are gonna get more traction on icy gravely than icy pavement. And if your city is like mine the streets don't always get plowed. But as long as there is less than 6" of snow you can get through with FWD just fine. All you need are some winter tires.

Unlike pavement, gravel is far harder to clear. Unless it gets real warm during winter, theirs a buildup of snow and ice overtop of it, been up to 6" of buildup.

I live in colorado, and snow can get pretty bad once in awhile. I have no problem driving FWD, RWD, or AWD cars.
Maybe your just not experienced during snow times.

@ dude - good for you, congratulations. My dad made a deal with me though, regardless of whether or not you guys think it's fair.

Good for you, just hope your parents dont get laid off due to the bad economy.
I think one reason why you think its fair is because its NOT your money. How would you feel giving 12K to your best friend? would you do it?

honestly i hate when my parents spedn money on me. they will offerto buy me something, i will say no, and then i will watch them buy themselves and my sister stuff

I live in colorado, and snow can get pretty bad once in awhile. I have no problem driving FWD, RWD, or AWD cars.
Maybe your just not experienced during snow times.

Good for you, just hope your parents dont get laid off due to the bad economy.
I think one reason why you think its fair is because its NOT your money. How would you feel giving 12K to your best friend? would you do it?

Exactly. If you told your friend that you'd give him 12K because he got good grades, I highly doubt you'd follow through. It just seems unfair for your parents to give you 12K to buy a car. I can see buying a car in general, but not one for 12K

BTW: FWD CARS (not trucks or SUVs) are > than RWD cars in the winter IMO..seriously. A lot of people probably agree with me. I mean, there's no comparison to a 4x4 truck or SUV of course...

Of course FWD is better, it is easy to spin out when being pushed rather then pulled. And usually around 60% of the weight is over the front tires. The worst you can get in the winter is a RWD truck... My truck is 3200 lbs, and about 2000lbs are over the front wheels. Paired with an open differential, it can get hard to get going. I have a posi sitting in my garage I need to install still...

I haven't been driving that long, but I can drive pretty safely in the snow.

FWD is definitely better than RWD in the snow. As superman said, it's harder to spin out. It is also due to the fact that FWD understeers rather than oversteers. When you lose traction, the normal reflex is to turn the wheel the way you want the car to go. This works with FWD. With RWD, you should actually turn the wheel in the opposite direction. I've learned this lesson, believe me. At the point you lose traction, your brakes won't stop you fast enough, and you are better off actually powering through the turn in some situations.

Let me repeat myself...buying this car would not be a burden on my family financially. Their jobs are not in danger, they have the cash, etc. My dad has straight up told me that getting me a car is not about the money whatsoever, it's about whether or not he feels I am ready to have one.

FWD is definitely better than RWD in the snow. As superman said, it's harder to spin out. It is also due to the fact that FWD understeers rather than oversteers. When you lose traction, the normal reflex is to turn the wheel the way you want the car to go. This works with FWD. With RWD, you should actually turn the wheel in the opposite direction. I've learned this lesson, believe me. At the point you lose traction, your brakes won't stop you fast enough, and you are better off actually powering through the turn in some situations.

Isnt it best to not step on the break when we lose control and just let it slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom