AMD athlon 6000+

reigore22

Solid State Member
Hi i have a quick question about my amd athlon 6000+ why is it when i underclock it via the multiplier it seems to perform better?

MOBO asus m2n68-vm
CPU AMD athlon 64x2 6000+
8gb ddr2 64x ocz ram at 667mhz
I have no benchmarks its just obvious

Welcome to the forum! It's most likely due to seeing a lower cpu operating temp depending on the 89w or 125w model you are running there. The 125w model runs warmer to start with drawing a little bit more power.

Some of the faster stock models tend to be pre-oced a little explaining why you generally can't oc them too far while you are going in the opposite direction. Running the 125w model here I'll have to try lowering it sometime to check your findings out.

Wouldnt the psu influence the performance? your motherboard might have something that might throttle the tdp down (e.g: your processor runs at 89 watts your motherboard might limit it to 75 watts because of your psu)

(Feel free to criticize, im not totally sure)

Whats the specs on your power supply?

Valid point!

A look over of the board specifications/features as well as what the supply offers on the 12v rails would give us an idea along with other things like video card(size of vpu and onboard memory to some extent), drives, additional addon devices. That would provide an idea on the power requirements.

Asus M2N68-AM Socket AM2+/ GeForce 7050PV/ DDR2-1066/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard

Specifications

* Mfr Part Number: M2N68-AM
* CPU: Socket AM2+ Support AMD Phenom FX/ Phenom/ Athlon/ Sempron Processors; Support AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology; FSB 2000/1600 MT/s
* Chipset: GeForce 7050PV & nForce 630a
* Memory: 4x 240pin DDR2-1066/800/667/533 DIMMs, Dual Channel, ECC/Non-ECC Un-buffered, Max Capacity 8GB
* Slots: 1x PCI-Express x16 Slot; 1x PCI-Express x1 Slots; 2x PCI Slots
* IDE/SATA: 1x ATA-133 Channel; 4x SATA2 Ports Support RAID 0, 1, 5 and JBOD
* Audio: ALC662 Integrated 6-Channel HD Audio CODEC
* Video: Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series Graphics Controller, Maximum shared memory of 256MB
* LAN: RTL8211CL Gigabit Ethernet Controller
* Ports: 10x USB 2.0 Ports (4 rear, 6 by headers); 2x PS/2 Ports; 1x Serial Port; 1x Parallel Port; 1x VGA Port; 1x RJ45 LAN Port; Audio I/O Jacks
* Power Connector: 1x 24pin Main Power; 1x 4pin CPU Power
* Form Factor: Micro ATX, 9.6 x 8.75 inch
* Package: Retail

Memory

8GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM

Hard Drive

320GB SATAII 16MB HDD

Optical Drive

20x Lightscribe SATA DVD-RW

Video
nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Cards

Specifications:

* Mfr Part Number: 01G-P3-N959-TR
* Chipset: GeForce 9600 GT
* Engine Clock: 750 MHz
* Video Memory: 512B DDR2
* Memory Clock: 1 GHz
* Memory Interface: 128-bit
* Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/s
* Bus: PCI-Express x16 (PCI Express 2.0 Supported)
* RAMDAC: 400 MHz
* Stream Processors: 32
* Max. Resolution: 2560 x 1600
* Connectors: Dual DVI-I, TV-out (HDTV ready)
* Thermal: Fansink
* Support nVidia SLI Technology
* Support Microsoft DirectX 10.0 Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.0
* Built For Microsoft Windows Vista
* Package: Retail

Case
Logisys CS305 w/ 480W PSU

Specification

* Mfr Part Number: CS305
* Case Type: Mid Tower
* Color: Black
* Material: 0.8mm Japanese SECC
* M/B Type: ATX (12" x 10.5") or smaller
* Drive Bays: 7
o External Bay: 4x 5.25"; 2x 3.5"
o Internal Bay: 4x 3.5"
* Expansion Slots: 7
* Cooling System: 1x 120 mm Fan;
* Side Windows: Yes
* Front Port: 2x USB2.0; 1x Audio; 1x Mic
* Power Supply: ATX 480W
* Dimension (WxDxH): 7.8 x 17.2 x 17 inch / 230 x 500 x 460 mm

That amount of detail wasn't actually needed while it points out a few things like case with supply? ouch! You never see better supplies included with a case. In fact those are generally the low enders.

Having all dimm slots populated can also see things at times like a performance loss and other things with some boards while the rest looks ok there. That and a possibly wimpy supply while not a major concern for a stock system would be the two factors so far.

The memory you first listed was 667 while you are now listing DDR2 800. You didn't mix any 800 with 667 memory or back the memory clock down did you?

When lowering the memory clock and then the cpu multiplier those two will then tend to run in sync with each other. On the old boards once you lowered the memory speed the lower model cpu number would be seen on the post screen. That's prior to Socket 939 for AMD there however.

That amount of detail wasn't actually needed while it points out a few things like case with supply? ouch! You never see better supplies included with a case. In fact those are generally the low enders.

Having all dimm slots populated can also see things at times like a performance loss and other things with some boards while the rest looks ok there. That and a possibly wimpy supply while not a major concern for a stock system would be the two factors so far.

The memory you first listed was 667 while you are now listing DDR2 800. You didn't mix any 800 with 667 memory or back the memory clock down did you?

When lowering the memory clock and then the cpu multiplier those two will then tend to run in sync with each other. On the old boards once you lowered the memory speed the lower model cpu number would be seen on the post screen. That's prior to Socket 939 for AMD there however.

No i didn't mess with the ram clock. I think thats what the FSB clock is at. And the ram is rated at 800mhz all 4 of em identical. The cpu is 65nm brisbane currently at 2.50ghz ((normaly its at 3.01ghz)). as i said it runs faster underclocked do you think i should pull some ram maybe two sticks i am currently using a 64bit OS and I though you could never have enough ram. Also I have a 550watt power supply in my old comp ill switch em out if you think that will help. I Thank you for your your replies :)

Not all boards run into this but some see problems when all dimm slots are used. The 550w supply would be an option especially if a better quality supply while not necessary wattage wise. You would look at amps on the rails as well as simply seeing a good regulation.

The 64bit OS is likely utilizing the cpu more efficiently when having the cpu is down clocked by the multiplier suggesting an ideal for you there. For 32bit cranking things up in the opposite direction or simply running a faster cpu is one thing seen to boost performance.

As far as having 8gb of memory one way to find out just how the system as well as programs will run would be simply removing a pair to see 4gb and take notes. If you don't see any performance loss you then have a spare pair of dimms onhand in case any faults come up later with the two remaining.

That's an extra option to consider there while the main concern for larger amounts of memory usually depends on the types of programs and call for the additional memory. Softwares like Cad 2D, 3D will chew ram up fast!

thanks for your advice i just recently got this computer its my first dual core i really don't know much about them yet i just thought it was weird that i actually got more performance by clocking down the cpu its only doing a little better than my celeron which i oced from 3.46ghz to 4.50ghz stable im going to remove 2 sticks of ram and switch out the power modules tomorrow ill post the results

Back
Top Bottom