Reasons I Need A Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, just my personal opinion, that's really expensive for an '02 audi. And for the books, that is luxury my friend, whether it's bone stock or not. My first car was my parents '95 lincoln continental which was over 200K but still burned rubber :D so I got that as a hand me down--was quite happy with it until the air suspension went out and it just wasn't worth replacing. My second car was an '84 Camaro Z-28 (yes prodigy, Z-28>Iroc-Z :D) which I still have. And guess how much I paid for it by looking around and doing research....2500 bucks. Yup. Perfect condition. Hardly any rust. Interior is great and it's a stick. I had money left over to do a complete overhaul of the 305 that's sittin under the hood and even money left over to redo the seats, harnesses, and put a sound system in. My third car was the most expensive to date, and it's because I'm going off to college and needed something decent with good mpg. It's an '03 Saab 9-5 2.3T <<--Turbo, FYI. It kicks ends seriously, and has about 100K on it...I got it for $7,000. The only work I've had to do so far was to change the rear oil seal--myself. Drives great, runs great, and I get 35MPG--can almost keep up with Camaro as well. So all of my cars have cost less than that one Audi. It's just not worth it in my opinion. I know you probably don't agree, and I don't mean to insult you, but honestly you must be a rich kid judging by the price and what your parents buy. I would be in heaven with that much money--or in debt.

But anywho...a reason to buy a car in general would be that it teaches responsibility, and you should have to work to pay it off like lots of other kids have to. I don't mean to make you sound like a child, but it'll help you learn the value of things in life. I know that by purchasing my own stuff, I feel good about doing it and feel good that I'm not super spoiled.

Also, if you buy that Audi, you can quickly learn how crappy paying for gas is and then be convinced to save the world from using oil--> tell your parents that one :D

I think you're getting the wrong idea too freestyler. We all know exactly what you're feeling. We were all 16 once (some of us not yet) and a lot of us wanted to look cool in front of our friends. When i was 16 I was looking for a car to buy and I found a Dodge Stealth R/T I wanted in the worst way. I told my parents that I would pay back all the money the would have to give me to buy it. It was expensive...

Unfortunately my parents aren't the type to hand those sort of things to me. What they ended up buying me was an 1988 GMC Sierra that they paid about $2500 for. Rusty as fuck. I was embarrassed for a while when chunks of rust would fall off it and people would tell me that my truck is falling apart but you know what? It was all in good fun. We laughed about it more than anything and I soon realized that most people don't give a shit what you drive, especially at that age. The people who judge you for it..well they can be ignored and no body gives a f*** what they think.

So save your money, get something affordable and you'll simply appreciate having wheels of your own to get around. Most kids crash their first vehicle within a year or so, so after that maybe you can get the car you want.

I think you're getting the wrong idea too freestyler. We all know exactly what you're feeling. We were all 16 once (some of us not yet) and a lot of us wanted to look cool in front of our friends. When i was 16 I was looking for a car to buy and I found a Dodge Stealth R/T I wanted in the worst way. I told my parents that I would pay back all the money the would have to give me to buy it. It was expensive...

Unfortunately my parents aren't the type to hand those sort of things to me. What they ended up buying me was an 1988 GMC Sierra that they paid about $2500 for. Rusty as fuck. I was embarrassed for a while when chunks of rust would fall off it and people would tell me that my truck is falling apart but you know what? It was all in good fun. We laughed about it more than anything and I soon realized that most people don't give a shit what you drive, especially at that age. The people who judge you for it..well they can be ignored and no body gives a f*** what they think.

So save your money, get something affordable and you'll simply appreciate having wheels of your own to get around. Most kids crash their first vehicle within a year or so, so after that maybe you can get the car you want.

Agreed. If someone is judging you (seriously; not for fun) about the kind of car you drive, you need to find new friends. Period.

Rock what you have. There will always be haters in the automotive world, just like with everything else.

I'd put you in an Audi or even a Saab. Those brands are built like tanks and should you try to prove two objects can co-exist in the same place at the same time and be proven wrong, you'd still be around to tell your kids about it.
Besides, from your story, your dad made the offer to put your butt in that if you kept your grades up. So if you did it's time for dad to put his money where his mouth is.

Really? Wow. I can see talking crap, but throwing garbage in it? That's just immature.

I am 16, I live with my parents Prodigy.

hah... I do that to my friend with a cobalt. We all make fun of it (its really a POS car) and I tell him everyday how I could beat it in a rck with my dad's pickup.

The scary part is I could probably take it with my mom's minivan.

I bet insurance costs as much as that audi or more for liability,

My first car cost £300, my first insurance quote was £1400.
first insurance is always going to be high because you're in a risky demograhpic

And you say project car?!? No way man, you are in high school, and the expense of the car will be enough... Putting a turbo to actually make that thing move decently, will be at least a good $2k. Nitrous wouldn't be too bad... but power is expensive. Even more so on new cars, and much harder. If you want a project car that can run and drive, get something from the 80s or 90s. It's your first car, I wouldn't recommend and audi.
+ more power will push the insurance even higher!
and this car is already nice, it's already quite powerful, why on earth are you going to take a nice car and try to add modifications to it.

any modification that a 16 year old makes to a car (in my opinion) is instantly going to destroy the resale value.
I mean you have a 12k car, next year you might be able to sell it for 11k? you say well I put a turbo on it and to my mind I think that this 16 year old kid put a turbo on it and ragged the shit out of it, it's now worth 6k perhaps even less.

if you got 12k and want a fast car, then (and this may sound obvious) buy a fast car!

whatever you're saying that car IS a luxury car. and you're 16...

TBH if I were you I'd take that 12 grand that you're going to spend on that audi and get a brand new smaller hatch or something.

It'll likely go quicker, and get up to speed quicker, it'll be cheaper to run, and you could probably get something brand new for that price.

why do you need a car this big?

and that vw that you were talking about probably can still go quicker than the audi that you;re buying, partly because it's a lot smaller and lighter.

seems like an typical high school kid trying to be popular and lucky to me. ;)

you should consider getting an older car considering that you are young and want a project car. I would get something from the late 80s to the early 90s. They will sell for pretty cheap, and use whats leftover for mods or to fix up the car.
if you get into an accident, it will cost a fortune to repair if the damage is bad, and it will just make your insurance spike up even more, and im pretty sure its already high considering you are a teen with an audi.
Getting a crappy car as your first car will make you appreciate the cars you get later on, considering you succeed in life after school. If you get an nice car now, and breaks down, and you need an new one and dont have a good enough job to pay for it, you are going to do a lot of comparing (usually negatives) of the new car to your first one.
Its like a computer, start out with an P4, then upgrade to an C2D, and you will notice a difference, and be happy.

Seriously, think it through. Theres a lot of cars I wanted to get, and wanted my parents to get it for me, and they didnt, Im actually quite happy, and I dont seem to want the car anymore. I think its more of a phase you are going through.

if you wanna proove to him you deserve a car.....

get a job and buy one of your own.. instead of relying on mummy and daddy!!

i bought my car out of my own money.. and i started off with crap cars and worked my way up.. im on my 5th car now, and its a brand new car..

if you work hard, and get the car yourself, you will treat it better.. and also it will be more rewarding knowing that you have worked hard for it, and you havnt just got rich parents...

in any rate.. an audi S4 isnt exactly an ideal starter car.. that will be round a tree within 5 minuites.. a car with that much power + inexperienced driver is a disaster waiting to happen.....

There are too many replies regarding my choice of car to respond to each, but I'm just going to say that if I can get it, I will. I guess I may seem "rich,"
but my family is middle class, we don't have ridiculous amounts of money. My parents would be spending $20k+ on a new car for me, so a $12k used car is fair IMO when I have been maintaining my grades as promised.

@ root it's actually a pretty small car...it's a little heavy, but it's really not big at all. If you've ever sat in one you would know what I mean. And the back seats are really tiny, I don't think they are meant for adults as I can barely fit in there.

It's a "biturbo" 2.7 liter V6 that makes 250hp and 258ft/lbs. The U.S. version is detuned from what I've read though.

It will kick the crap out of my friend's GTi though. His car may be lighter, but it's only 200hp, not to mention FWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom