My laptop GPU is running at boiling temperature... Litertally

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi all, I was a victim of a pretty bad defect with nVidia mobile chips in HP pavillions, and after hours of arguing on the phone I have already received 2 out-of-warranty repairs (argued that the part was defective when it was shipped).

Now 3 weeks after my second repair, my laptop GPU has already climbed up from idling around 55 to idling around 78. I just played a game and my GPU temp is now 104c. (220F, boiling point)

I burned my finger touching it.

GRRRRRR what is wrong with HP, they keep putting the same effing defective part in!

Is there a heatsink on the chip? Are your fans reving up when it gets hot inside? Could be an issue with the fan controller not set right. Check for bios updates to see if any has been issued to deal with that.

Is there a heatsink on the chip? Are your fans reving up when it gets hot inside? Could be an issue with the fan controller not set right. Check for bios updates to see if any has been issued to deal with that.

They did release a BIOS update -- two years ago, it leaves the fan on 24/7, giving me 30 mins of battery life. But yeah I did put it on, and they make sure of that at the repair. Fans are whirring, the issue is a hardware thing with a specific line of nVidia chips (6150go, 7600go, 7400go, 8600M GS, 84000M GS, etc)

Eventually the defect just leads to random reboots and lines throughout the screen until its unusable

I have the 7600go, but if you look here:

http://database.hplies.com

You will see like 20 people with your exact GPU... Looks like your laptop is new enough though to hopefully have avoided this

62 seems like a perfect temp

Because it's a laptop this is a little difficult - the entire mobo is fitted for my computer, and since it is a mobile GPU it is attached to the mobo. Therefore, I can only purchase this one specific part to put in.

This is exactly the same part HP has repaired now twice. It is defective so I won't buy it

There are a range of HP laptops that run insanely hot, though it might not be your GPU. I have heard that it is rather the hard drives they use in some models 'samsung' the hard drives aparently generate truckloads of heat and of course heat everything else up. I would do some research on your laptop model of see if others are having this problem. Also see if your laptop is running a samsung hard drive as that could be the culprit of your overheating problems.

Back
Top Bottom