Build question?

hayze

Beta member
I've been reading alot on this site and others trying to figure out how to build my on setup, and I have a few questions. Right now I have a 5 year old Dell Laptop, and I think it is time to upgrade to something better. I don't have a budget, but i will be building over time buying pieces here and there. It will be mostly an everyday computer (internet, music, ect.), but I might do some gaming on it. I'm not in a huge rush to get it completed.

With all that said I saw AMD Phenom II X4 940 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471 for 190 on slickdeals. I think I am going to order it, but what is a good MB to go along with that. Also what is a good video card to buy ( not to crazy, just something decent).

Thanks
Matt

Wrong Section,

But. If it's an every day computer, Dont even buy the X4 940. If you want, I can get a build for about 300-400$ that will be fast for every day use.

Take a look at the 780G boards, they should be fine for you. And that's a great deal on the 940.

Agreed though, Tiger has the 940 on for... 300$. What a great deal :p But if your doing every day use, and not gaming you dont really need to spend that much.

Like worship recommended the 780G is a good board for the Phenom II's. For everyday use the 780g will offer you great performance and also a good enough ON board graphics for many games. What type of games would you play if you do.

As for the Graphics card you may be able to get away with just using the on board if you are not really playing that much games and are using it for just everyday use like you said (internet, music, etc.). The 780g boards have radeon HD 3200 GPUs onboard which will be more than enough for everyday use and occasional games..:D:D

Thank you for the reply's. I should have been more clear in my fist post. While I know I don't need the 940, I am just interested in building something fairly powerful that will last me a few years with room to upgrade. Also I don't play many game on my computer mainly because its slow and I'd rather play PS3. But if I had something that could play some of the more intensive games, that might change:D . Any way this a great learning experience and I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

thanks
Matt

Well Then.

The 940 With a 790G And 4GB Of RAM will last you a couple year's and will be very powerful. Just add on a 4780 X2 and you'll be able to play any game on the market.

Well Then.

The 940 With a 790G And 4GB Of RAM will last you a couple year's and will be very powerful. Just add on a 4780 X2 and you'll be able to play any game on the market.

Don't get a 4870 x2 unless you are running 2560 x 1600 resolution you will not see much of a difference from the 4870 1gb unless you are running maxed out on a 30+ inch screen. But to be honest if you are just an occasional gaming the 1gb is even going to be too much for you.

There is a few good board brands: Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, just to name a few... I personally have a Biostar which doesn't really have good ratings on new egg but has been "phenomenal" lol @ the pun ( I got a phenom II) I got it when there was a combo deal with the Phenom II's.

If you are going to get 4gb's of ram make sure you get a 64 bit OS in order to use it all. You really aren't going to lose much maybe a .5 GB's which really isn't going to make that much of a difference in everyday use.

If its for every day use to go with that, i suggest a Mother Board with the 790Gx chip set...
You wont need to buy a graphics card and will be able to play decent games with it without buying a graphics card

Back
Top Bottom