Eh big upgrade questions

am i allowed to bump my big upgrade thread?
i should be getting the processor tomorrow :) :)

I'd like to thank dude 56013 and everyone else that helped me pick out everything!!!!

Um i read on another forum that you have to reinstall windows when you switch motherboard is that true?

how much thermal paste do i put on the cpu after putting it in the motherboard?

maybe want to mess with overclocking a little! I don't want to blow anything up 3.0 ghz would be cool but I will have to read up on all of it and stuff! im only on air cooling so i know not to set it to high

hopefully i can max out gta iv! that would be cool or at least get more than 10 fps jesh!

right now on crysis this pc everything set to the highest except motion blur and no AA and 1280x1024 resolution i get like 20 fps but it drops to! lol

im thinking of slapping 2 more gigs of ram into it to make it 6 gigs! :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

how far can you overclock a video card? i have the EVGa 9800GT 512MB it clock speed right now according to EVGa precision are
core clock is 600
shader clock is 1500
memory clock is 900
and fan speed i set to 50-Setting to 100 wouldn't hurt anything right?

when i get everything up n running ill do benchmarking 3d mark 06? n post my score

You either have to reinstall or repair the installation of Windows after installing a new mobo.

Even though this is for Arctic Silver, it's a good guide for any thermal paste:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Depends on the video card, but you can usually squeeze out a few more FPS with stock cooling. Typically you want to do some sort of artifact test for at least a few hours to make sure it's stable after OCing.

Since you are getting the thermal paste (MX-2), you want to clean off the stock thermal paste from the stock cooler by using rubbing alcohol and q-tips (cheapest solution..always works for me). Make sure it's very clean, and dry wipe with a few q-tips before calling it good. then apply a rice sized dot of thermal paste to the center of the cpu after it's installed in your mobo. With the stock coolers with push pins, I swirl them around once or twice on the CPU since the pins don't provide a whole lot of pressure compared to a bolt-thru (which would thoroughly squeeze the paste). Then pop in the pins and lock 'em down. You should be good to go.

Um i read on another forum that you have to reinstall windows when you switch motherboard is that true?
You may need to do a repair install as shown here: XP Repair install. It will leave all your files and apps intact. You will need to install all drivers and updates.

Here's another tutorial that shows how to set up the drive before the move so you don't have to reinstall: Swapping your board without so much as a reinstall

how much thermal paste do i put on the cpu after putting it in the motherboard?
None. The heatsink will have pre-applied thermal paste.

im thinking of slapping 2 more gigs of ram into it to make it 6 gigs! :D
6 gigs is a bit much, but it can't hurt.

how far can you overclock a video card? i have the EVGa 9800GT 512MB
They are all different. You'll need to slowly bump up the timings until you start getting artifacts, then back it down a bit.

okay thank you both very much!!!!

ive ripped everything out of the old case n now all my stuff is sitting here on my desk lol its a mess! the new mobo is in the case :) as well as the ram is in the motherboard

If you are planning on OC'ing, you should still remove the stock paste and put on the MX-2 (which I think you bought, didn't you?...can't remember). If you aren't OCing, than AR is correct in that you don't need to re-apply but then I guess you bought the MX-2 for nothing :/

Back
Top Bottom