Looking at a 1920x1080 monitor for photo/video, but what about games?

syvmn1

Baseband Member
So here's my computer:

Brisbane 5200+ 2.7ghz overclocked to 2.85ghz
ASUS M3A78-EM MB
MSI R4670 GPU
Kingston 2x2GB DDR2 800 (6-6-6-16)
250GB Caviar HD
Thermaltake Purepower 500W PSU

Its nothing fancy but for $350 its hard to beat.

Anyway, I had a 19" Samsung monitor with 1360x768 resolution that I picked up for $80 new. It was pretty nice, but I do some photo editing and enjoy a good HD movie now and then so I decided that the resolution was too low for what I do. I found a Samsung 22" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution for $170 and I think it is perfect for all of my applications. Lots of room for photo editing, and perfect for HD movies.

My only concern is that I am a lightcore gamer. I enjoy playing some video games here and there and don't need 100fps @ high settings but I was hoping I could play some games without turning everything all the way down too. At 1920x1080 I fear that games like WOW, Crysis, or The Orange Box are going to be terrible.

What do you guys think?

My only concern is that I am a lightcore gamer. I enjoy playing some video games here and there and don't need 100fps @ high settings but I was hoping I could play some games without turning everything all the way down too. At 1920x1080 I fear that games like WOW, Crysis, or The Orange Box are going to be terrible.
The Orange Box and WOW should play fine at a high level of detail at that res with your system. Crysis is always going to be trouble, and you'll probably have to settle for medium and drop the AA.

I agree with worshipme. HL2 and WoW should look fantastic and play fine at that resolution while Crysis is just a beast at any resolution. HD movies should look amazing on that monitor.

I'm just trying to figure out what the catch is. The monitor is 22" and 1080 resolution @ $170. It just seems like such a low price and I can't figure out whats wrong with the monitor.

^ whats so good about crysis

GO SC !!

Starcraft?
Anyway, idk if that's a serious question about Crysis, but just if OP wants/needs to know it's a very demanding game- so people use that measure how well a gaming computer can perform.

Back
Top Bottom