Picking a school...

superman22x

Golden Master
I know it's all down to what I choose, but what would you do?
Here are the two colleges I am looking at as my top choices.

Michigan Tech in Houghton Michigan,
or
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City, South Dakota.

I live in Northern Illinois. Michigan Tech is about 7 hours away, and Rapid City is about 12. I like the closer part a bit. I like the smaller campus of SDSMT. Only 2100, like a big high school. Michigan is like 7800. Both have about a 3:1 guy to girl ratio, which isn't so bad for an engineering school... I like both areas a LOT. I was thinking about minoring in business and Michigan has a great business program, while South Dakota has none at all. But here is the big thing... SDSMT is about 14k a year, and I already have 2k off for the first two years. Michgan is about 20k even after my 12k off for all 4 years...
It's a damn hard choice.

In all honesty I didn't decide what school I wanted to go to until I actually went to the school. Some you see the site and hear about them and you get all excited. When you get there you feel totally opposite.
So visit them if you haven't.

If price is a problem then I would go with that first.. You don't want to dig a whole.. If you go to one school you can always go back to the other later on if you feel that it would be better.

I've never been to a US university but in my experience it does not really matter which university the qualifactions are from when going for employment - it only really matters that you have the qualification. I would go with the univeristy that has the minor in business - its always useful to have business skills - if you can't find employment you can use the business skills to start your won it business.

http://www.mhare.com.au

I'd say Michigan Tech...just because I live in Michigan and I also heard its a good College...

Money isn't exactly a problem. But if I went to South Dakota, I wouldn't have any debt afterward. I have visited both schools now. Both are very good schools... 99% placement rate. Starting salaries of about 57k. Except one has the business... But Mechanical engineering might be enough work for me, let alone business classes.

Yay. I'm the only one who voted for SD. Haha. Come join me. I'll be in South Dakota at the University of Sioux Falls :D

Money was a big thing for me, and I almost couldn't afford this private school, but then I was graciously awarded 2 scholarships. The first was a Presidential Honors Scholarship worth $34,000 over 4 years...but then it got better and I received their business scholarship (they only give out one!!) for about $50,000 over 4 years (but I did have to pick just one). And I'm thinking I'll also have my music scholarship from them coming through, as well as local scholarships, as well. So I'm super duper excited. My grades and effort finally paid off. To me, $50,000 is just unfathomable.

Back
Top Bottom