Suggestion for Hardware/Software

Newcomers are always asking redundant questions. I know it's not their fault, but I think we can solve this problem to really filter out the easy questions. As I browse through the guides sticky, all I see is a lot of links. I think it would be much more helpful if we got each member (doesn't have to be all, but the most knowledgeable in certain aspects) to write a brief yet helpful description of computer terms, parts, etc. Then we can have each member PM or e-mail the description to a mod who will post it and lock it. Having to click on links can get pretty annoying...We can also change some of the rules and announcements sticky that we have laying all over the place and put them in a FAQ forum. I think if we have this designed place for new members to get some information, we'll have a lot less questions that only distract us from the real questions that required actual thinking to solve. Additionally, I can see a lot more members following common "ignored" rules such as posting a picture of the item they're selling.

It sounds good on paper but the problem is getting a newbie who has never posted here to actually look around for the answer in a guide section which for the most part if they were going to do that they could google it and usually find out the answer to their question just as easily as they do asking here for it. It would be good for members who would actually look through it but I really don't think newcomers are going to use it...:D:D

Well I don't know about the faq forum and all that, but as far as the thread goes, if you do the legwork for it, round up members, get them to write something and such, then pm the stuff to me I'll make the thread and stick and lock it. I think it's an idea worth doing. There are a lot of knowledgeable members here who I feel would be glad to contribute something to the forum. Of couse we would give credit to the person who wrote any particular item.

You can shoot me a PM if you want with more details of what you want to do and we can discuss it further.

The benifit to what it currently is though is each link has a discussion with many ideas in it to get the best possible answer. Let's face it though, few people use it now, few people will use anything else. Not worth the time and effort IMO.

I think people don't use it because it's spread around everywhere (not necessarily the guide thread). I don't understand why we can't have an FAQ forum to have rules, questions, guides, reviews, etc.

It sounds good on paper but the problem is getting a newbie who has never posted here to actually look around for the answer in a guide section which for the most part if they were going to do that they could google it and usually find out the answer to their question just as easily as they do asking here for it. It would be good for members who would actually look through it but I really don't think newcomers are going to use it...:D:D

that's precisely what I was going to say. If they're not capable of using google to find the answers to easy/simple questions then they're not going to search for them on here either. They will just continue to ask.

that's precisely what I was going to say. If they're not capable of using google to find the answers to easy/simple questions then they're not going to search for them on here either. They will just continue to ask.

Exactly. This being a computer help forum we want people coming here to ask questions.

we'll have a lot less questions that only distract us from the real questions that required actual thinking to solve.

are you above answering the simple questions now? Just remember you were once a newbie. Are we going to cater to only helping complex problems?

are you above answering the simple questions now? Just remember you were once a newbie. Are we going to cater to only helping complex problems?

I like helping people with simple problems...:confused:

It's fun to watch people learn--probably why I'm going to become a teacher.

I do think we could use some organization around here though...not massive, just some tidy-ing up.

There are nothing that pisses me off at forums then when members get angry at a newbie for asking a question that has been asked multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom