overclocking Q6600

dwskillz

Baseband Member
So i just finished putting my new computer together a few weeks ago and was wondering whats the highest i can overclock to with the standard heatsink??

Im using the asus AI Booster program to overclock but im not to sure what the ideal Frequency and ration should be?

So i just finished putting my new computer together a few weeks ago and was wondering whats the highest i can overclock to with the standard heatsink??
About this much. ;)

*Holds fingers an inch apart*

Im using the asus AI Booster program to overclock but im not to sure what the ideal Frequency and ration should be?
It's called trial and error. You just gotta play around with it to find the best combination of performance and stability.

Don't overclock with the standard heatsink. It's very dangerous to try. Maybe if you bump it up a small bit, you should be okay. But for any noticeable speeds, you want an after market heatsink. Check out the Xigmatek HDT S1283 for a cheap and extremely effective heatsink.

It's at 2.70GHZ at the moment so i think i'll leave it at that

I never liked the ASUS AI Booster program and always just use the bios for overclocking, also, the more recent Q6600 batches have been pretty bad OCers from what I've heard...

I never liked the ASUS AI Booster program and always just use the bios for overclocking, also, the more recent Q6600 batches have been pretty bad OCers from what I've heard...
+1. Don't get used to using software. The blue screens of the BIOS may seem intimidating, but you're going to have to use it if you want to get any kind of a meaningful overclock.

Don't fear the bios! lol Be careful in there though. One wrong move and you could irreparably damage your computer. I would say to increase your voltage to 1.4 or 1.45 and put your fsb at say 220 depending on your cpu multiplier. If your bios has unlocked multipliers put that to the max and from there you can get higher oc's without over increasing your fsb. I would also recommend an aftermarket cpu cooler. I use a Core Contact Freezer 7 pro. Works like a charm. My cpu runs at 37 idle and 49 on load!

Don't fear the bios! lol Be careful in there though. One wrong move and you could irreparably damage your computer. I would say to increase your voltage to 1.4 or 1.45 and put your fsb at say 220 depending on your cpu multiplier. If your bios has unlocked multipliers put that to the max and from there you can get higher oc's without over increasing your fsb. I would also recommend an aftermarket cpu cooler. I use a Core Contact Freezer 7 pro. Works like a charm. My cpu runs at 37 idle and 49 on load!
1.45V when he's on the stock cooler. He shouldn't be increasing it past the stock voltage of 1.25 if he's still on stock cooling.
And 220x9= 1980MHz. *EDIT: Sorry, that was harsh*

Well I didn't know his cpu multiplier. What if it is 12? Anyway I said 220 is a start. 250-270 is usually where I put my fsb when overclocking for friends. Like I said I also unlock multipliers which helps.

Back
Top Bottom