Some advice on upgrading?

hengyu

Beta member
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums, so pardon me if this is the incorrect section to post this in.

There will be an IT Fair/Show over here in my country, and I'm going to go there and get a printer. Since it's once a year, I don't want to waste the chance and I want to have an upgrade.

I got a game called Empire Total War, and I could only run it in medium-high settings. I don't want to buy a new computer, so I have to buy parts and fix them in myself.

Here's my rig:

Mainboard : Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2
Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2133 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Hard Disk : ST3250820AS (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N
DVD-Rom Drive : GZGZYT QZ4LUZS9QJ SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Philips Philips 170S - 17 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c (September 2008)

I just got my 8800GT rather recently, I believe it's still good enough, so the main focus would be on my processor and RAM.

Any advice on what to purchase? Especially the processor? I know nothing about compatibility, so I need serious help here.

You could probably keep the RAM and video card, they will be fine for what you want to do, maybe pick up another 2 gigs since it'll be so cheap. You priority should be a new mobo, look for anything P35 and up as it'll support all the new C2Ds.

Worshipme is right. Definitely get a new mobo and then try getting a quad core processor! Those are very good and coupled with 2 more gigs of ram you will be able to run Empire Total War on high or maxed out settings and get very good fps. If you can't buy a new mobo and cpu, definitely overclock your cpu.

Of course I do! What do you mean? Quad core>Dual core its a fact! I have heard that Empire Total War has some pretty steep system requirements but I don't see why with the upgrade he will do he couldn't max out on that game.

Oh I see what you are saying. We both agree on adding ram but wouldn't you agree that if you are getting a new cpu it might as well be a quad core one. They are more future proof, they juggle tasks better, and they run games a little better. Also they aren't that much more expensive.

uh... Correct me if I am wrong but aren't X4's quad cores too. The i7 is more future proof but its still quite expensive to get. Quad cores are still very good and will continue to be for another good 4-5 years. Look at how long the P4 lasted!

Back
Top Bottom