Windows 7

I have seen promising things about Windows 7, which is basically Vista optimized that runs like xp and has all these cool features. 7 has better resource management, boot time, and a whole bunch of other improvements over Vista. But with sp2 for Vista on its way who knows if it will push Vista out of the running.

The only thing that will push Vista out of the way is the lack of new softwares or software upgrades for older hardwares, devices for Vista. Most all Vista drivers will work on 7 without fuss.

7 doesn't run like XP. To the contrary it is more stable like Vista already is and loads to the desktop faster then XP.

The SP2 beta is on Vista at the moment with no noticable changes while some report a slight performance increase. Some have also complained about some changes seen in 7 between the 7000 public beta and 7048 and are comtemplating staying with Vista! That's with the RC1 supposedly to be seen in the next two months.

If you look at the minimum requirements, it will be obvious that 7 doesn't run like xp. But it is optimized to run well on computers that meet the requirements.

I hear from people running 7 on older turtles for systems seeing only 512mb of memory and state they manage well. Despite raising the minimum and WEI I have 7 running along side both XP and Vista on the same set of hardwares for making comparisons.

So far I can say it has been running better then XP for the most part while still in beta form. Usually I'm fast at dumping a beta for something while waiting for the finished version to come out.

Windows 7 is going to be an epic release. I have it running on my Macbook intel chipset and its solid. Build 7022 and i haven't had it crash on me once yet. Works great with all my programs, doesn't require a very robust rig, and it simply works. I love the new layout, and the fact they didn't copy all the dark colors like in vista. Great OS...thinking i may get it for my gaming rig once released. Otherwise, Linux FTW!

Yeah I got 7 running on my laptop and its running pretty flawless. There is a few things that are a lil buggy but other than that its pretty sick. I like how I can pin the Icons to the taskbar and have a clean Desktop. I also like how I can scroll over the icons on the taskbar and view mini pics of the pages. The only problem I have had with it is on some things I get this message that says my graphics driver failed and recovered and my screens freeze for a second but I thing the only think it happens for is Full Tilt Poker... I haven't had it happen to me any other time. It only happens to the tables on Full Tilt. Its weird but I just put up with it....

I've seen far less game crashes with certain older games that love to crash! The IE 8 beta included in the 7000 build can be a little flaky at times where you see the IE recovery restart that to your home page or restore last sessiong when freezing up. But that's still in beta form and now sees that new support feature over IE 7 in beta.

With the 32bit beta set as the default OS the background selected other then those included will see everything go dark except for the Start button where logging off and on again sees a normal desktop return when first starting up at times. That's a recent bug found in the 7000 build while probably not even seen in the later.

There have been some complaints heard on the Media Center for later builds like the 7048 in particular. But that's the whole idea behind "beta" to begin with. Find, submit and see bugs fixed along with recommendations for improvements as well as evaluation. 7 isn't final quite yet.

The thing with windows 7, is that its too much of a copy on Linux and Mac.

The whole pinning programs to the task bar is pretty much the Dock in Mac OSX, and some of the cool features are from Linux.

The thing with windows 7, is that its too much of a copy on Linux and Mac.

The whole pinning programs to the task bar is pretty much the Dock in Mac OSX, and some of the cool features are from Linux.

It's great from a business point of view. People use Macs for the aesthetic features such as the dock, and use Linux for things like customisation, security and stability. If they copy these kind of things, then their chances of enticing more people to use their operating system start to grow. Seeing as the Linux and Mac user-bases have been growing since the release of Windows Vista, it's a necessity for Microsoft to bring some of them back.

Personally, I'm really liking Windows 7. It took a long time to convert to Vista and I hated it right up until SP1 was released. Now I'm quite happy with it, but still have some issues with certain features. Windows 7 seems to be heading towards resolving these, so an upgrade will definitely be on the cards for me, but only on the desktop. For the mobile world, I'll be keeping my Linux installation right where it is :D

The one annoyance I found with 7 wasn't the elimination or rather revision of the quick launch bar but the new add hardware method. When adding a new device you now wait for Windows to try and detect it rather then being able to select the type from a list and browse for the correct driver. If the item isn't seen right away as an other device in the DM you get stuck.

The popup previews when hoving over multiple windows or programs on the taskbar was a smart move there however. When having several windows or tabs open it makes it quite a bit easier to go back and forth. All this however is with the 7000 build while waiting for the RC1 if available.

Overall 7 is far from being make over of Mac or Linux. The backward compatibility for older games and softwares is actually improved in 7 over Vista there. A simple right click on the installer's executable sees to that.

Back
Top Bottom