Obama Funding Stem Cell research!!

the main point is
research isnt always pretty
you have to do what you have 2 do...

If I'm not mistaken, isn't something similar to stem cells found in umbilical cords during birth? But, IIRC, those cells can only be used on THAT individual, so it would not treat those with existing conditions...

Anywho, on the issue of Obama, I don't care if some of you don't like him or not, but personally, I like him. I think we needed a change in this country. I absolutely hated Bush (and I didn't make that decision as soon as he was elected, it was a conclusion I made after seeing his dumbass policies over 8 years), so I'm going to wait until Obama's been in for a reasonable amount of time and THEN critique him. We have to give everything time to work and stabilize. The economy will hopefully get better, but if it wasn't for half of the dumbass policies in this country, it wouldn't have happened. If any of you know anything about economics, the more restriction put on a market system, the more out of "whack" it gets. In a true market system, things fix themselves (demand=supply) over time. I think that if we didn't have so many law and rules (yes, I know they are sometimes a necessary evil), we *might* not be in this mess. So, basically what I'm saying is that I'll see where we are at in a few months, then evaluate. I'm not going to call anyone out right now. I'm not CNN--they do that shit on a 24 hour basis...and it gets REALLY old.

I dont agree with Obama's stand so far, but thes my opinion. I am against abortion, which he overturned, and I know this will annoy some of you, but I am against stem cell research. Personal reasons. Again, my beliefs and opinion. I will give him a chance, like I did each and every other president in my time, but I dont see how Obama will be any different. Change? How? What do we need changed? America has been fine until this pointless war and our recession, however Obama cant fix it overnight, and pumping billions and trillions into an ever growing deficit is NOT going to help. However we have gotten out of recessions before

I dont agree with Obama's stand so far, but thes my opinion. I am against abortion, which he overturned, and I know this will annoy some of you, but I am against stem cell research. Personal reasons. Again, my beliefs and opinion. I will give him a chance, like I did each and every other president in my time, but I dont see how Obama will be any different. Change? How? What do we need changed? America has been fine until this pointless war and our recession, however Obama cant fix it overnight, and pumping billions and trillions into an ever growing deficit is NOT going to help. However we have gotten out of recessions before
everyone has gotten out of recession before...

the question is how big the recession is and how long it's going to last.

what if we see four quarters of negative grows, or economic shrikage, and we start calling it a depression instead?

there has only been one documented depression that I know of, and the only way that ended was with mass employment caused by world war.

Well who knows then, maybe another world war may happen. Look at North Korea and Russia...its just waiting to happen...

ummm,
look at them how?

north korea are developing satalites? nuclear power, hell even if they are developing nuclear weapons then so what? so long as they don't start taking land what's the issue?

and what of russia? I said that the depression was ended by war, as in real war, not cold war.

we're getting a little off topic now.

to get back on topic, (and to keep the off topic in the discussion as well)

I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

Whatever you views on abortion, it happens, and IF the mothers of those babies choose to give their children to science then that's their choice.
it's not like there are going to be people getting pregnant and having abortions on purpose to generate stem cells for research.

and yes, stem cells are present in the umbilical cord, and this is waste and is usually disposed of,
if it's useful and people choose to donate this to science then again where is the issue.

I do believe that there is moral debate in the artificial insemination of cells in labs to produce stems cells i.e creating a protozoa (and whether this is creating a life is for you to decide) and later harvesting this protozoa for stem cells.

But there are obvious positives that have to be weighed up as well.
health benefits, organ regrow treatments etc, these can all be useful.

Also in a climate of recession easing barriers to research is going to create jobs in research.

I agree that stem cell research can benefit anyone, but its just my personal views on it, and abortion. There is no stopping either one, but I am against both. It bothers some, but then again thats why we are each to our own.

Sorry for going off topic on Russia and N Korea...I dont know why I brought that up LOL

I am against abortion, which he overturned, and I know this will annoy some of you, but I am against stem cell research. Personal reasons. Again, my beliefs and opinion.
I agree. But as much as I HATE abortion, in some ways its good because it solves overpopulation problems, and keeps kids out of troubled homes. You can only adopt so many kids.

America has been fine until this pointless war and our recession, however Obama cant fix it overnight, and pumping billions and trillions into an ever growing deficit is NOT going to help. However we have gotten out of recessions before
This. I hated both bailouts. The stock market went down just the same after both of them, so obviously they didn't have the life saving effect they are claimed to have.

So a few babies die so what. They usually take the stem cells from ones that die in child birth complications anyway. Stem cells could cure a whole range of diseases and conditions. There is promising work in the Diabetes field already. Kill 100 to save 1000 is what I say.

Back
Top Bottom