what is over clocking and how do i do it???

If you want to tackle overclocking on your own, you will probably need a self built computer with an "overclocker's" mobo and at least a Core XX CPU.
Also, if you want to overclock a lot, you'll have to buy more high end components like ram and cooling devices. Overclocking a cpu is basically increasing the voltage and multiplier on it to get more speed out of it. The downside to that is more heat. You'll have to have excellent cooling on your cpu so that it doesn't get too hot and get destroyed.

Also, if you want to overclock a lot, you'll have to buy more high end components like ram and cooling devices. Overclocking a cpu is basically increasing the voltage and multiplier on it to get more speed out of it. The downside to that is more heat. You'll have to have excellent cooling on your cpu so that it doesn't get too hot and get destroyed.

Giving it too much voltage will destroy it, as well.

Yeah, as Tommy Boy said, you will need excellent hardware to get the most out of your overclock. If you are really dedicated to this, do feel free to give us a rough budget and we'll build you a rig that can handle the most intense overclocks.

Giving it too much voltage will destroy it, as well.

That's the mistake most novice OC'ers make right off the bat, they pump up the vCore thinking that it will speed up their processor... Overclocking is an art form, everything must be carefully thought about.

i know that im gona sound like a noob
im interested in building myself a computer and i dont know a whole heap
but id like to find out??

well first start with the basics
google and youtue
motherboard
cpu
gpu
ram
hard drive
cd rom drive

Yeah, as Tommy Boy said, you will need excellent hardware to get the most out of your overclock. If you are really dedicated to this, do feel free to give us a rough budget and we'll build you a rig that can handle the most intense overclocks.

That's the mistake most novice OC'ers make right off the bat, they pump up the vCore thinking that it will speed up their processor... Overclocking is an art form, everything must be carefully thought about.
You overclock a little, then you test it. Overclock a little more, then test it again and repeat until your system is no longer stable, then you back it down a step. Also monitor temps very closely.

You overclock a little, then you test it. Overclock a little more, then test it again and repeat until your system is no longer stable, then you back it down a step. Also monitor temps very closely.

I take a slightly different approach. I keep the vCore as it is and take a considerable jump in the frequency. If it boots, I check its stability. If it doesn't, then I lower the frequency until it does. The thing about overclocking is, if you don't add power to the CPU it isn't going to get much hotter. Sure, it is going to raise by a few degrees with big frequency jumps, but that is more or less negligible. However, when you start raising the voltages, that is when you have to start getting very very careful.

haha this is kinda funny cuz im overclocking as we speak i dont wanna wait for my water cooling so im just going to see if i can get to 3ghz
im on stock voltage 2.4ghz

thanx everyone ill have a look around on google/wiki
by the way, whats a safe heat level for a proccesor?

Depends on what family the processor comes from... You can always use http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html.

You can also use following formula if you can't find your CPU there:

Po = Ps * (Fo/Fs) * (Uo^2/Us^2)

Ps is the power usage of the non-overclocked CPU
Po is the power usage of the overclocked CPU
Fs is the clock speed of the non-overclocked CPU
Fo is the clock speed of the overclocked CPU
Us is the default voltage of the non-overclocked CPU
Uo is the voltage at which the overclocked CPU runs

If you don't know about overclocking, I would NOT recommend doing so. You can easily destroy computer parts by overclocking if you don't know what you are doing.

everyone starts somewhere and it doesn't take long to learn, what I think TB is trying to say is learn about it/research it first and then try, some overclocks are easy and some take a lot more time and effort (trial and error), just read up on overclocking guides for your part and be specific in your searches, a guide to overclocking an AMD processor won't help much if you have an Intel processor...

Back
Top Bottom