Need Advice On This Setup + Other Questions

Clucky

Solid State Member
All prices are in USD

Mobo (EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3-Way SLI Core i7 Motherboard with Tri-Channel DDR3 and Tuning Utility)
+
CPU (Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M L3 Cache 4.8GT/sec QPI Hyper-Threading Turbo Boost LGA1366 Processor)
+
RAM (Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Memory Kit)
= $752

Video Card (EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card ) = $263

PSU (Seasonic 650wt) = $80

Case = $100
Hard Drive = $60
Misc = $50

= $1305 + HD Monitor (22inch) = $195

TOTAL = $1500USD (or $1,930 CND)

Some extraneous questions, has anyone ever had problems with video cards that range between 510 and 1g, like the 896mb I listed? I heard rumours that they could sometimes cause compatibility issues with some games...

Also, what do you think of DDR3 Ram? I know it's the only thing compatible with the i7 so I sort of had no choice when it came to DDR2 (which would've been much cheaper).

Lastly, the Seasonic 650wt...do you think it's enough to power the system I'm building?

Hi, welcome to CF!

Just a few questions we need answered:
- Are you overclocking?
- What are you going to be using the system for?
- What is your monitor's native res?

I'd personally go for a more well known PSU supplier (thought the wattage seems ok), otherwise this rig looks SWEET!

- I wont be overclocking
- Mainly high-def movies and although I'm not much of a (serious)gamer I'd like it to be able to run most games
- Here's all the specs for the monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009157#spec
Thanks.

Your setup looks pretty good, I'd go with a cheaper X58 though, you won't need all the features of a more expensive one so you can save some money there. MSI X58 Pro.

For the video card, I don't think that's a very good deal for a plain GTX 260. XFX have a Core 216 for less than $200. There's also the HD 4870 1GB as an alternative. They're around the same performance wise so take your pick.

The PSU is will provide sufficient power.
I'd personally go for a more well known PSU supplier (thought the wattage seems ok), otherwise this rig looks SWEET!
? He chose a Seasonic.
Some extraneous questions, has anyone ever had problems with video cards that range between 510 and 1g, like the 896mb I listed? I heard rumours that they could sometimes cause compatibility issues with some games...
The 896MB of VRAM won't cause compatibility issues. Whoever you heard that from is wrong.
Also, what do you think of DDR3 Ram? I know it's the only thing compatible with the i7 so I sort of had no choice when it came to DDR2 (which would've been much cheaper).
Go with DDR3 1333, i7 can't make use of any higher and you won't need the extra speed as you won't be OC'ing. 3x2GB G.Skill.

Sorry. Dont know how the hell i didn't see that. I just saw PSU 650wt and presumed it was something generic. Real sorry. Had a bit of a tiring day

Nice setup.

Worshipme's suggestions are spot on. The XFX GTX 260 core 216 is a better deal and is faster than the EVGA you selected. The Seasonic PSU is plenty for your system, and the G.Skill memory is great stuff and will save you mucho moolah.

Very Nice Setup.

I agree with Atomic, The GTX 260 Core 216 is a much better deal and almost identical to the performance of the regular one. But, Since your not a hard core gamer.... i7s... DDR3.... X58 Serie's motherboard's arnt really needed.

I suggest to go with 8 GB Of DDR2 SLI Ram with Dual 9800 GTX's... EVGA 790i Motherboard and a Core Two Duo it would be around 800$ so 700$ cheaper and is a very good system.

Back
Top Bottom