Wired to wireless?

firehawk

Solid State Member
I have a wireless network at home.

I have some wired PC's connected to it, and a wireless laptop. all good.

im planning to purchase this WD network storage book where its basically a large network storage device.

So basically, it's wired. What I am curious to know is, if its possible to connect it via wireless? in other words, does such a component exist where I can plug it in to the RJ45, but it has a wireless transmitter/reciever? Plan is, to place this in a different room.... than the wireless/wired room (my main living room!)

possible?

I have a wireless network at home.

I have some wired PC's connected to it, and a wireless laptop. all good.

im planning to purchase this WD network storage book where its basically a large network storage device.

So basically, it's wired. What I am curious to know is, if its possible to connect it via wireless? in other words, does such a component exist where I can plug it in to the RJ45, but it has a wireless transmitter/reciever? Plan is, to place this in a different room.... than the wireless/wired room (my main living room!)

possible?

Yes such devices exist. They are called wireless bridges, and some wireless routers can function in this mode. Unfortunately, it will slow your storage book down by a huge amount.

thanks Chris much appreciated.

in addition - why does the wireless bridge slow down the transmission?

well i do have the western digital one in mind... i guess the advantage of the dlink is that it has wireless built in, all very well but i trust WD more :)

but yes, the wireless bridge is what I am after.... which one would you recommend? I would like something ideally that is compact...

The solution to that is installing a WD drive into the wireless enclosure as it doesn't include the drive. You can also connect other external USB enclosures to it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom