what is over clocking and how do i do it???

bobjane26

Solid State Member
i know that im gona sound like a noob
im interested in building myself a computer and i dont know a whole heap
but id like to find out??

welcome to the forums, Im new here as well.
I find these people quite helpful. Hang in there and im sure someone will chime in.

Overclocking is taking a stock piece of hardware such as the processor or graphics card, and tweaking it to run at a faster clock speed than it does straight out of the box. There is a few different ways to do it which include adjusting bios settings and then testing for stability, or there is a heap of programs that will allow you to do it but most programs have to be done every time you turn off your computer.

Overclocking is increasing the operating frequency of a component so that it runs faster than at stock. It is done through the BIOS. Do not get used to programs, if you feel intimidated by the complicated looking blue screens, just get to know the settings first. Read a few guides written for your motherboard etc.

How you do it depends on what components you want to overclock.

If you don't know about overclocking, I would NOT recommend doing so. You can easily destroy computer parts by overclocking if you don't know what you are doing.

He's interested in learning Tommy boy, and if he does extensive research he then could be able to overclock. That's why were here Tommy Boy.... To help him learn.

:rolleyes: Newbie vs Moderator i wonder who will win

Quite right :D

The key agenda here is to first learn the basics of building a computer.

Ask us anything here and well help you out.

The title mentions Overclocking but i'd put this on hold until you actually build your own PC.

Not to be a dick or anything, but the best way to learn about a complex process such as overclocking is to read about it online. First, read the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking If you want to tackle overclocking on your own, you will probably need a self built computer with an "overclocker's" mobo and at least a Core XX CPU. I find overclocking on Intel processors a bit more simple.

Once you have those things, simply google "overclocking a [insert your cpu here]", and read the multitude of guides that will surely pop up. Then read some more. After you do all of that, come back here and give us your components. I am sure that there are many of us that are very proficient overclockers that will help you get the max out of your CPU.

Also, keep in mind that even though the chances are low, it is possible to ruin your CPU or even your motherboard through an over eager overclock. Please, for god's sake, do not overclock on your only computer.

Back
Top Bottom