nOOb with a processor ?question?

kls023

Solid State Member
Hey. Couple questions...

I have this tower that I got from someone. I don't know much about it except that it runs Windows XP, has an MSI motherboard part #MS-7021 running with an AMD Athlon XP 2000 processor, a single pc2700 DDR memory card (don't know name), and an S3Trio 32/64 graphics card (at least that's what it says on it).

I ran SiSoft Sandra on it and it says I can upgrade the processor to an XP 3200+ but Newegg.com doesn't offer anything. I'm guessing they're old and probably obsolete but nontheless.... Can I still upgrade or is it not even worth it.
Once in a while my internet freezes and crashes, I've run spyware and virus software on the computer a few times and there doesn't seem to be any more bugs. It's also been defragged and all that jazz.
When I'm not online, the computer runs fine but when I am online, everything seems to go to sh*ts.

Well my questions is that would the processor be worth it to be upgraded and IF I do upgrade, would I have to reinstall a new Windows operating system or will it just reboot like normal?
I know you don't have to reboot if you're installing more memory so I'm also thinking about upping the memory to 2 Gigs (2x 1GB PC2700 DDR sticks).
Remember I'm still a student in training. :p Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Oh yeah, I wanted to upgrade to at least a 150 gig internal hard drive cause I'm also using a 500 gig external. Would that mean I would HAVE to reinstall Windows XP again?... cause I don't have a disc. :p

Well, you're pretty much stuck with the CPU you have as socket A CPUs are no longer manufactured. You can possibly find one on eBay, but it will probably cost more than what it's worth. That ol' system really isn't worth throwing a bunch of money at.

Adding some more memory will speed things up a bit and make things run smoother. The best deal going for a pair of DDR memory for it would be G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) @ $58.99

Cool.
Anyway, IF I can find a cheap AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor somewhere and install it, would I have to reinstall Windows or no?
Would the processor, at least, boost the performance of my comoputer? :confused:

Sure, a faster CPU will help. No, you won't have to reinstall Windows. Just make sure you get some thermal paste for the CPU.

Will I still be able to reuse my old cooler and fan off my xp 2000+?

Correction on the Socket A motherboard's are out of production. Tigerdirect and a few other site's have Socket A motherboard's in stock.

Your options are as follows. You can upgrade to a X2 3200 which would be a great increase in power as well as getting 3 more gigs of ram to even out at 4 gigs. Because you are running xp (32 bit I assume because xp64 was horrible) your computer will only recognize and use 3.5 gigs but thats plenty. This will really revitalize your system. The other option is to due a complete mobo swap. This will allow you to get a better processor, better ram, better vid cards, more space, etc. This can only be done if your mobo is removable. You do not need to reinstall Windows. May I also advise you to download Glary Utilities. It is free to use and keeps your comp running without problems. There is a page called 1-step maintenance that cleans your registry, hard drive, start-up, etc. It also has a faster uninstall manager as well.

Back
Top Bottom