Possibly blown hardware...

A while ago I made the mistake of fitting DDR2 RAM into a DDR slot. After this the computer would power on but with the LED constantly yellow and no VGA, I know its difficult to determine the problem from this, but, I used the same PSU from that computer for another mo'bo' and other hardware and got the LED constantly lit and no VGA, could just be the PSU?

Thanks

Eh???

DDR 2 RAM won't physically fit into a DDR 1 slot.

Although if you use the PSU on another motherboard and get the same results then it might just be the PSU.

What motherboard and PSU have you got?

I know, with the few extra pins there it must;ve been sticking out a little. Cheers for the reply.

I'm not sure of the motherboard, it fits P4 and DDR, nothing special. The PSU is 240w.

A while ago I made the mistake of fitting DDR2 RAM into a DDR slot. After this the computer would power on but with the LED constantly yellow and no VGA, I know its difficult to determine the problem from this, but, I used the same PSU from that computer for another mo'bo' and other hardware and got the LED constantly lit and no VGA, could just be the PSU?

Thanks

"making" something fit in a computer is a horrible idea, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't belong there and DDR2 will not work in a DDR slot, whether you "make it fit" or not, and my guess is that psu is a piece of junk that needs to be replaced immediately...

I can't even fathom how you could make a DDR2 ram stick fit in the slot for a DDR ram stick. Please explain that to me and how you thought it would actually work. 184 pins vs 240 pins, plus a DDR2 stick is actually physically bigger.

You can't "make" things work together, they either work or they don't, thats the way computers are. It has to be the right part.

Sorry if I sound rude, but sometimes I just need to know what people are thinking.

I can't even fathom how you could make a DDR2 ram stick fit in the slot for a DDR ram stick. Please explain that to me and how you thought it would actually work. 184 pins vs 240 pins, plus a DDR2 stick is actually physically bigger.

You can't "make" things work together, they either work or they don't, thats the way computers are. It has to be the right part.

Sorry if I sound rude, but sometimes I just need to know what people are thinking.

DDR2 sticks and DDR sticks are the same size, the location of the notch is the only visual physical difference...

I didnt bust the slot or anything, it mustve been hanging out, I know its a stupid mistake. I'd just like to know what it would blow or if a new PSU would fix it (and new RAM maybe haha)

I didnt bust the slot or anything, it mustve been hanging out, I know its a stupid mistake. I'd just like to know what it would blow or if a new PSU would fix it (and new RAM maybe haha)

there's no way for it to "hang out", the ends of the dimm slots are enclosed, if you're trying to say it wasn't actually seated and was just sitting on top of the dimm slot that would be the more plausible scenario...

Back
Top Bottom