Friends LAN Build

Prodigy146

Fully Optimized
So my stoner friends and i get all of our computers together and play tons of games against each other once a month. I guess thats called a 'lan party'. Now my best friend is always borrowing our computers to play because his comp is outdated and i finally got him to put up some money to redo his build, $188. What he needs to update is his Proc, Motherboard, Hard drive (his is 5400rpm, real slow but thats probably low priority).. He has a HD 4670 with gddr4 so he'll be fine with that.

We play Tom Clancy End War, Day of Defeat Source, Unreal Tournment 3. He likes to overclock alot and he burns alot of dvds and he has no need for sli. hes leaving it up to me to get him the right parts and i dont really know what to upgrade and what not to upgrade.. We came up with 3 different builds:

Kuma 7750+ paired with ASUS 780G
With this build we decided to get a very good quailty board but amd's dual cores are being outdated so im not sure how effective it is. We couldnt find a good cpu fan/heatsink with the extra $ which is a big negative with how long we play, im not sure the stock fan can hack it.

Kuma 7750+ paired with ECS 8200
Zalman Heatsink\Fan
Were going with a lower quailty board with this one. Despite newegg reviews, online reviews give some very good results. And i went so expensive on the heatsink because he will never spend money for a different one, and that one is just so badass. He'll probably have less issues when were spending 5 hours on end war.

AM3+ Combo
Im not really sure about this...

I didnt want to just buy anything, i wanted you guys to clear the build that we buy. So what do you think?

+
780G
+
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
+
MX-2

Total = $194

But I'd grab this too and make it $202.50

I would say instead of short changing himself on his CPU/MB, I'd just wait on a hard drive. Including that in the budget will really cause a blow to the performance of the parts he can get to upgrade.

@ Rooster: i like your combo alot. but what about that zalman cooler, is that just overboard on cooling?

@ Dude: i like the quad core but wouldnt my am3+ combo be more effective?(Faster clocks, more room for overclock, 45nm, better cache, 790gx chipset)

The Xiggy cools better then the A.C. and comes out 3 dollars cheaper with rebate...I'd get the Xiggy IMHO. Normally AR recommends the Xiggy, so he must not've known it was cheaper :D

Well exactly how bad is the amd's stock cooler? i've only had intel proc's this is my first time looking at amd's procs

what about that asus 780g board? how does that compare with the gigabyte one?

(which one has more bios options, better performance, overclocks better)

EDIT: i looked up the reviews and im gonna go with roosters combo the gigabyte board with the kuma proc and with dude's cpu cooler. thanks alot guys, you've helped me alot

Normally AR recommends the Xiggy, so he must not've known it was cheaper :D
Yea, the Xigmatek is cheaper AFTER rebate, but he said he had $188 to spend and I was staying within that limit. I never figure in rebates when somebody says they have x amount to spend as they still have to pay the full price when ordering.

The stock coolers will work fine with the black edition CPUs as you normally don't have to raise voltages to OC them. But with the Kuma, it generates more heat than the 5400+ BE, so it would be a good idea to go with an aftermarket cooler.

Back
Top Bottom