how does this setup look for an HTPC?

Sorry...I couldn't find the link for this before...that will do just fine. BTW...PSUs in USD usually cost 40-70 dollars for a "good" one. I'm assuming that works out close to 80-100 in CAD but idk..I got sick of converting in google. I was also factoring in the rebate (by converting as well...ugh) and so that's why I recommended it.

All I'm saying is this: You can use the one that comes with the case but chances are it's a generic POS. If it goes out in a fury of overvoltage, don't come crying and say I didn't warn you when everything is fried in your 'puter :D

if I was building a HTPC I would start with a nice looking case with an included power supply and IR receiver to save on cost, like this Antec Black M FusionRemote 350 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case...

not bad for ~$250...

thanks dude, i figured my old comp wasnt going to offer much.
Is the psu in that case any good?

thanks dude, i figured my old comp wasnt going to offer much.
Is the psu in that case any good?

it's an Antec and they ship their case + psu combos with their own psus so I would guess that it's decent (Antec makes good psus) plus this is a HTPC with no video card and not a gaming PC, 350w should be plenty to power it, an Antec 350w psu is probably equivalent to (or even better than) a cheap no name 450w-500w psu...

The Phenom build is going to offer more performance and it's not a whole lot more...if he can afford it, I'm still going to suggest that. But like I said up a little ways in this thread--I agree with you: get a good case...if it's an Antec, then absolutely the PSU should be fine, if not, the OCZ I recommended is great. It just saves the hassle if your case already has an IR receiver because it's going to look like any other media component right out of the box. We've given him some ideas, so now let's see what way he wants to go. If he wants the Phenom, I'll find a good mATX board for it if he likes your case.

That'll work but I don't think the onboard graphics will be as good as this or this (which unfortunately is the one I'd get if I was you, but it's out of stock)

EDIT: I think that you may want to consider buying a GPU. Take a look at this. It compares the two onboard video chipsets we're debating on and it seems neither does great...even for HD playback...but the HD 3200 (the 780G chipsets) do better than the GeForce 8200. Then again, if you are sure you won't be doing any BluRay stuff, you probably won't need a GPU...you could just upgrade later.

2nd edit: Great...someone will have to confirm this, but it looks like if you want to do sound through HDMI, only the 8200 will do that...ugh.

looks good to me, that and the 9600 would definitely be good for any build and it is cheaper, I just prefer Intel...

Yeah, it's just that E5200 won't be very future proof for the OP...I really like intel as well, but they've fallen behind recently in the price/performance ratio for the average builder.

Back
Top Bottom