xbuntu help

dude_se

Proper Legend
basically i rebooted my laptop one the other day, and it kept saying the windows files were currupted, etc. to cut a long story short, ive quite possibly lost all my data :( only have a 2gb usb stick, and the ubuntu live cd was a bit slow, so decided to install xbuntu. it all works fine, except theres no free disc space, it wont even let me remove app's because of the lack of space. i want to install flash and a few other things just to tide me over, but i cant. it there anyway to make some free space?

Hi,

Can you give me some more details on your install. Did you install xbuntu on to your laptop or onto the flashdrive? If it was your laptop then what is the size of the hdd?

Cheers!

its installed on a 2gb flash drive. ive tried to manually delete folders but it wont let me. also tried to do it via root or whatever and it still wont let me. i cant even install flash player (which is a mere few megabytes) as it says theres no space.

Ok,

Thanks for that information. I am not sure if the flash drive is so small that the iso takes up the entire 2gbs or not. That might be the problem is that it is just too small.

Cheers!

i managed to free some space by moving some files to an external hdd, as it wouldnt even let me delete them straight off. im just going to stop messing about with it now and just be grateful that i have internet access :)

Glad to hear that you at least have internet access. On your laptop that lost all its information, what were you thinking of doing with ubuntu? Were you going to try to mount the file system and see what you can pull from it, or was it something else entirely?

well, i had access to the hard drive when using the ubuntu live cd, but my external drive wouldnt mount at the same time. i then formatted the hdd with the vista dvd, and now xbuntu wont even pick it up.

is there any file recovery software for ubuntu / xbuntu?

I don't know if there are any but i can do some looking and see what I come up with.

great, xbuntu wont boot now. it keeps moaning saying "cannot find the hard drive, try and re seat it". im back using the ubuntu live cd. apparently gparted can help recover software. might try and install xp on my 2gb flash drive instead.

What if you try totally wiping your hdd with a program like DBAN. then you reformat and then install xp. This is supposing that you can still see your hdd from inside your bios. I would check and make sure that your computer is still seeing your components from the bios.

Back
Top Bottom